I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What did you work on today?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: What did you work on today?

Post by gots_a_sol »

They can be a pain to mount (especially new mousses in new tires) but once done up I don't even think about them again until it is time to flip/change a tire. No worries about flats ever, just point the bike wherever and go.

This is my 3rd front insert in like 5 years. The others are still ok but were getting a little softer than I prefer (would be fine in a smaller sized tire still).

The rear inserts were fine but the Beta uses a 120 rear tire vs my husky with a 110 so I needed a new one to fill it out.

I went with the standard insert on both ends which is around 12-14 psi equivalent. I'll probably do up spare rear wheel with a plushy (6-8 psi) and something like an Ibex for the rocky races.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Does a mousse last the life of the tire?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Yea, I've had my previous mousses in at least 5 or 6 tires each.

They only thing they don't like is high speed/pavement so not great for dual sports. I haven't had any issues in enduros though.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Seeing your comment about Mousse, makes me want to ask... I've been running Tubliss on my WR250R since it's nearly all single track riding when I'm on it. But I do have racks and the IMS tank on it thinking I'd give light weight ADV a go. So far I've been a bit nervous about taking it on something like a BDR because of the pile of paved miles at speed that happens on those rides - getting to/from and often during. Should I be? They're not DOT approved and it seems like a high pressure tube failure could result in a really bad day but what are y'all's thoughts about piling up pavement miles on it with Tubliss?

I originally switched to it because some of the trails I was riding were pretty gnarly and often muddy so airing down to single digit pressures really worked well. I keep thinking that if I really want to take a big epic adv ride on the WRR that I should probably switch it back to HD tubes. I'll run pressures in the high teens/low 20's for those rides anyway.

Thoughts?
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

I would have more faith in Tubliss vs a rim lock and tube for a longer run. Problem I have with Tubliss is I have scene plenty of tires fail internal from low pressure use (MT 16) and then fail or leak air. If your low pressure time is far less than higher pressure time you should have zero issues.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Me, for what you are describing for intended use? I'll take HD tubes all day-

Mousse are great for Enduro/Hare and Hound etc. cause like mentioned, they don't like high speed especially for sustained periods. They get hot and the "mousse" starts to break down. They were PERFECT for a race like Mauna Kea where you rode over 100's of miles of lava.

Tubliss is good too BUT, I have seen firsthand a front rim that got bent on a normal ride (shit happens right?) and the tire wouldn't seal, so had to rip it out and stick in a tube as a tube will still work with a bent rim.

I run HD tubes down to 8 lbs and they work fine, but I am not a throttle spaz either-You wick it up, and run too low, you can risk RST (ripped stem syndrome!)

Spoons and a spare 21 tube. You can run a 21 in the rear if you really have to.
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Firebolter wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:31 pm Tubliss is good too BUT, I have seen firsthand a front rim that got bent on a normal ride (shit happens right?) and the tire wouldn't seal, so had to rip it out and stick in a tube as a tube will still work with a bent rim.
This was me on the KAT. I hit a rock HARD w/ the front wheel and bent the rim. I heard the hit and noticed a ways down the trail the front end was floppy. But I continued to ride for prob 10+min until we were 'out of the woods (=rocks)' onto a gravel road and I could flag everyone down. When we stopped and realized it tore the sidewall and bent the rim, we were out in the sun. I got back on the bike and prob went 1/2 mi down the road until we could find some decent shade to park in.
To be fair to Tubliss, that was the first time I had tried it on a front tire. It didn't seat quite right and I had to do it again. Still not sure I got it right but I would check tire pressure each morning. It was sometimes down a little and I'd fill it up. I honestly think I started to forget to check it. It may have been low when I pranged that rock. The tire also MAY have been repairable w/ a sidewall patch. We considered it but I think SJ commented "you have the wheel off already put a tube in it." I wasn't about to question our fearless leader :killingme:
Moral of the story is Tubliss can't protect against a large tear so you still need some sort of backup plan. Though you can ride for a little bit w/ it flat.

I've learned its actually possible to run Tubliss w/ tire sealant and solve most of the bent rim leak issues. The internal Tubliss tire seats to the inside of the tire bead, so if you can make that seal good enough, a failed rim seal isn't an issue. I haven't tried it, but its an interesting thought. I'm still running Bill's(?) front tube :)

I have a friend who runs mousses. He has convinced me that is the way to go w/ front tires for sure on the little 2-stroke. Next time I change that tire, I'll buy a mousse and learn how much fun they are to wrestle on. Will stick w/ a tube (or try TuBlisss again) on the 500 since it goes on the highway.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Boom Boom wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:18 am I would have more faith in Tubliss vs a rim lock and tube for a longer run. Problem I have with Tubliss is I have scene plenty of tires fail internal from low pressure use (MT 16) and then fail or leak air. If your low pressure time is far less than higher pressure time you should have zero issues.
If I decide to take it off on a BDR multi-day ride I'd probably run 18 - 20 psi anyway. I might give it a go this spring leaving the Tubliss in.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I've been running Tubliss for a few years now and I dual sport my 450 with it. Front and rear. I've gotten a couple flat tires that I just kept riding on because...you can. I had one high pressure tube fail one time at Bucho's riding spot, but that was purely because I had pinched it the night before when installing a new tire. Installing the front tires is a PITA in my opinion.

I would like to try a mousse in the front and continue using Tubliss in the rear.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Got wheels swapped on the Beta then noticed I effed up

Sooo I have been running spare wheels off my Husky on the Beta, but the triples are a little narrower on it vs the Husky, so I have 2 of them with the offset modified to be centered when on the Beta and 1 set up for the Husky. And this was the Husky spec wheel.

After staring at it for a while I determined it was less work to change the offset to match the Beta than to dismount the tire with that brand new mousse in there :lol2:

All beta'

And for shits and giggles, a little Oset action in the snow. New batteries should be in at some point this week I hope.

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0