I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

What did you work on today?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
davej
DAMN Expert

Re: What did you work on today?

Post by davej »

20230108_095427.jpg
20230108_095427.jpg (11.07 MiB) Viewed 30911 times
xc horse jump from reclaimed materials
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I assume you emptied those yourself? :cheers:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Horse? :shrug:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

RR I help a little on a couple :cheers: My neighbor buddy gutted don pablos in sterling and brought these home...

WF, i need to build about a dozen of these to scatter around my property. I would like to make a lot of them dirtbike friendly somehow. You know, dual sport :thumbup:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

that was very neigh-berly thing to doc :cheers: :killingme:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Weld it yourself bumper kit for the Frontier.

Almost done. There are lower frame mounts I had to line up with the bumper back on the truck. I have them tacked in but haven't pulled the thing back off again to finish them. Also need to make a skid plate to protect the radiator (silver strip you can see peaking out below the bumper)

The woman drives this truck primarily and wanted diamond plate which nobody makes for Frontiers, so I may or may not have made some strategic measurements before I welded this kit together.

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Put in some time on the International. My original engine choice was a huge Ford V8 and I had hacked the firewall to hell trying to fit it. After swtiching back to an inline 6, I could have most of the stock firewall back in place. I started piecing the chunks back together but it just pissed me off every time I looked at it.

So I got rid of as much of it as I could.

Now it is nice and flat and took care of most of the holes I was going to fill also. Just need to work on the area between the firewall and floor. This part was removable in the original truck and I'm trying to keep it that way which is making a lot more work for me.

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

Rut Row wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:45 am I like your IH! My first vehicle was an old R-120 that I bought for $10 in 1968. I drove the piss out of that. Sure wish I still had it.
gots a sol, bring us up to speed on your old truck. 1940s or 50s etc?
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

davej wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:05 pm
Rut Row wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:45 am I like your IH! My first vehicle was an old R-120 that I bought for $10 in 1968. I drove the piss out of that. Sure wish I still had it.
gots a sol, bring us up to speed on your old truck. 1940s or 50s etc?

Mostly rot free save for the bed, but she was beat up.

Swapped it on to a newer Dodge Dakota chassis. If I had a do over I'd have gone with something with better aftermarket OR kept the original as a company now makes an IFS front end kit for it.

Rear end is 4 linked/bagged. The front will be bagged also.

Small hump in the bed floor for clearance

Originally I was set to use a Ford 5.4 DOHC engine with an Australian model intake manifold. This is why I had the firewall hacked up so much to clear those huge heads

That Aussie manifold was DAMN sexy inside

Unfortunately on that engine, the p/s pump, lower radiator outlet and oil filter sit exactly where the steering rack comes up on the dodge frame. Also the headers interfered with the upper control arms. Ford made numerous different outlet/filter housings for the 5.4 and I tried them all plus some aftermarket ones and it just would not work unless I moved the engine way forward or way back.

Decided I was done with the 5.4 headache. This engine was my second choice as it kept the truck with an inline 6 like it was originally and it can make just silly power if I want.

Big ol' turbo makes life better. You can see how much I had to stitch back together after the 5.4 mess.

As it sits now save for the recent firewall work.

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

My first vehicle that was mine was a 1953 IH R-120. I sure loved that truck. Wish I still had it. I was 16 when I got it. A friend of my grandfather sold it to me for $20 (circa 1968). It didn't run. I spent that summer driving around to other local farms scrounging parts from other trucks rusting in barn yards. I finally got it running too.
Ken