I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

For every skinny j there is an equal but opposite....

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
davej
DAMN Expert

Re: For every skinny j there is an equal but opposite....

Post by davej »

Drove to PHX to help my brother get mom's house ready for sale. Brought a bike along just in case. I rebuilt the motor on this Husky and kept the bike around specifically for a trip like this.

I have ridden a couple times whilst visiting PHX and had a blast. First time I rented a 450 and rode at nearby wildcat ohv https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tonto/r ... 3&actid=93 The place is fun with lots of sand washes and bermed out trails. I assume its infested with quads these day so I looked for something different.

I scoped out an area north of town that I read about on advrider. Everybody warned, don't get lost and bring lots of water. I was a bit nervous about that so I visited the KTM dealer in Anthem to look for a map of the area. The lady behind the counter was nice but sort of made me feel like a dinosaur saying maps are so ten years ago, everything is online these days. So I installed an app called alltrails and bought a battery boost pack because my husky doesnt have a kickstarter. https://www.alltrails.com

Drove out to the Boulders ohv are which is on blm land, meaning that it could go on forever and might be interesting with quasi-homeless people camping long term and breaking bad scenarios. There are multiple access roads into this area and I chose milemarker 14. I pull in and find a spot sort of close to the highway to park.
20220127_111824_resized_1.jpg
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Awesome!

How did the alltrails app work? Im still using papermaps the majority of the time too…
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

I unload my bike and get geared up. Dagnabbit, no boots! :frustrated: Boots are a fairly critical element of offroad protection in my book so I hesitated briefly. :think: Whats the worst thing that could happen riding by myself in uncharted desert without boots? WHO CARES?
1643314577833_resized.jpg
20220127_123142_resized.jpg
very good singletrack was found winding up and down the hills. Hilltops views stretched for mile all the way to phoenix. I was alone but it was really cool to hear a wild ass braying not far from one of my stops. I never saw him but it was kind of a cool experience.

The trails crossed dry creek beds quite often, these washes are all rideable except for some occasional hero boulder sections
1643321352720_resized.jpg
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

Just a couple of interesting features along the trail
20220204_185918.jpg
20220204_190141.jpg
Later in the afternoon, some locals started showing up for after work rides. I asked one guy if there was anything marked to follow out there. He didn't offer to show me around, probably because I was wearing work boots and have a sketchy demeanor. I later saw him on the trail in the middle of some gnarly stuff and he then introduced himself. He was heading back since his forearms were toast.
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

20220205_184232.jpg
20220204_190033.jpg
It was perfect weather, about 70 degrees. Had to suck down the water though, summer here must be deadly :screwy:
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

Bucho wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:38 pm Awesome!

How did the alltrails app work? Im still using papermaps the majority of the time too…
It worked great but I did have to buy a subscription. The subscription allows you to load tracks from other members in whatever area you are riding in. It also has a lifeline feature that emails your position to whoever you designate along your ride as long as you have cell service.
20220204_190225.jpg
Last edited by davej on Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

Obviously, I did my usual 10mph trail pace and had fun here. I loaded up but wanted to check out the other staging areas further down the road. Its known as the milemarkers area since you can stage a few places known by what milemarker you turn off the main highway. Milemarker 12 has a developed staging area with room enough for a damm rider convoy to camp with a toilet. I was glad I drove in there to check things out, especially since I found a box full of MAPS! Take that , parts-lady :duel:
20220205_190526.jpg
20220205_190608.jpg
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

I went further up the highway to milemarker 4 but didn't enter. All I could see was scrub and a few unattended campers dispersed amongst it. Save it for the next trip...
20220206_180536.jpg
Having done some work at my mom's house, next step was to visit pops in Denver. Back in the car again. I stop in flagstaff to pick up some boots. Of course, the ones I liked were the most expensive ones they had.

Those who know me won't be surprised to hear I asked for and got a discount, no shame. The parts guy was a racer and tried to sell me some Garnes but they didn't feel that great on my ankle bones. Same guy gave Intel for next time: Kelly Canyon and Fort Valley
https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/tra ... e_5659.htm
https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/tra ... e_3744.htm

Sadly, i had to keep moving north. My route took me through the Navajo reservation. It was sad to see how obsessed things seemed over c19. Huge billboard with a women in a body shop respirator, "stay home, stay safe"! I happened to pick up a local FM station from the high school in Tuba City and listened for about 3 hours. Everything from from a Radiohead B side track to pow wow enchantations. :hi5:
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

At about sunset, i get to Moab. When we rode there this fall, firebolter was on top of all the local intel and alerted us to this heinousness https://kutv.com/news/local/two-women-w ... eriff-says

My curiosity has been piqued ever since and now i find myself driving up into the big mountains above moab. Here's the unfortunate crime scene, i was a bit apprehensive about being there...
20220206_190311.jpg
If you follow The road that goes to slickrock trail, (Sand Flats road past porcupine rim) it dead ends less than a mile from where these girls were murdered :cry:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Thanks for sharing, Dave! Looks like a great trip!

Stay safe and have fun!

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200