I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New AMA rule against helmet cams

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
BamBam
DAMN Expert

New AMA rule against helmet cams

Post by BamBam »

Really bothered by this new rule from the AMA banning anything mounted to the helmet, or modified in any way. Would ban all gopro cams, water drinking tube systems, lighting, and maybe communications headphones. Such a BS legal protection clause that doesn't really protection anyone at all. Still a dangerous sport and helmet cams gotta be at the absolute bottom of any real list of dangers. Still signing waivers at every race to give away any rights we even might have had....

After a total crap season with the pandemic, THIS is what they come up with as a genius new idea? Soooo pissed.
This is just a fun little hobby and I like the videos I take most of all.

Can we organize an ANTIFA style rebellion?? Those skateboard kids seem to win every time..... :duel:
2016 PitsterPro LXR-250f (Chinesium-KTM)
2001 Honda XR 200
History.... 1997 KDX 220, 1977 Ossa Phantom GPIII
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: New AMA rule against helmet cams

Post by Laoch »

Chest mount. Bar mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruce
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

Yeah, until someone gets a boo-boo from a chest mount in a fall.... or a gopro flies off a bike mount and scratches some kid in the field.

The point is that the helmet mount is no more dangerous than the chest mount. Probably safer really... because it would be harder to smash a gopro through your helmet than to push it through a roost guard into your heart. My opposition is that this is not really making anyone safer, its just bullshit legal maneuvers, and the people who write these dopey laws apparently don't ride or race. They force us to sign waivers, none of this means anything!

AS dangerous as this sport is.... broken bones, necks, knees, back injuries galore. THIS is the genius that comes from our paid membership/leadership???

After a year of racing lost to covid, did we get a refund? A heartfelt apology? Nope. THIS is what they come up with. Take away the fun video footage the way we use it most. I honestly like the videos more than racing. This is probably the end of AMA racing for me then.

We should fight back. Draw a line in the sand. Stop the endless legal C.Y.A. legal crap which will eventually end the sport if we let them.
How comes those antifa kids never seem to lose a single battle?? And they are in the wrong!! But they stand together and don't give an inch...
2016 PitsterPro LXR-250f (Chinesium-KTM)
2001 Honda XR 200
History.... 1997 KDX 220, 1977 Ossa Phantom GPIII
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Is it actually for safety? Or do they just not want helmet cam footage?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Don’t do ama events.

Bruce
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Bucho wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:04 am Is it actually for safety? Or do they just not want helmet cam footage?
That was my second thought.

My first thought was people who mount the GoPro on the top of the helmet so it sticks up 4-6". THAT is unsafe when it catches a branch and whips your head back while you're riding at speed. I guess side mounted could be as unsafe in certain situations. Instead of spelling out how to safely mount a camera to your helmet, they're probably just making a blanket ban to avoid the problem all together.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

So, I guess the first question that comes to mind: has anyone ever been hurt by any camera or communications device they mounted to their helmet? Did they have some data or was this just a matter of somebody with more rule making power and time on their hands than common sense? Or is it not related to injury risk and it's something else - like video evidence of your ride?

I'll go a different way on this and say that more people have had a bad day because they started out thinking "this is all going to be great video!" Pick your action sport: skiing/snowboarding, mountain biking, motorcycles at the road course, dirt track, etc I bet a lot of orthopedic doctors have sent their kids to college from fixing people up that were wearing a GoPro.

I've been to several California Superbike Schools camps and every time I've ever pulled up to the starter wearing a GoPro, I got an extra ration of warnings and an alert went out to the corner workers to watch out for GoPro Valentino on bike #23. Apparently more of their bikes get wadded up while the student was wearing a camera than not.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Just less footage being posted for the greenies to use against off road events.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Ktm husky teams banned helmet cams after an accident where injury was exacerbated by camera.

Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Boom Boom wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:19 am Just less footage being posted for the greenies to use against off road events.
This was my thought
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200