I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

Post by Firebolter »

Twist wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:46 pm
Is the primary belt drive something I should be concerned about running the OEM configuration battery and controller?

If you are running the stock power train the stock belt is fine. Just keep an eye on it for usual belt wear and tear. If you up the power (Like SMDUB did) then the stock belts have a shorter life span due to increased wear and tear the added torque adds. I am gonna run my belt till it wears out then swap over to the chain kit. I already have one ready to go, but I bought the 420 chain kit. It is a little heavier and noisier than the 219 chain kit Steven is using.

I am happy with the stock power for now. It was fun climbing the hills yesterday. Having to use new lines and choices to compensate for power makes for some fun riding!

The 26inch MTB DownHill rim/tire I am running works really well. I have a Slime HD tube in it with 40lbs of pressure and it felt perfect yesterday. It is a little easy to wash the front end with a MTB tire vice a MC tire though-
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Stock belt is fine w/ stock power but watch the mud and rocks. Belts are set tight so they don't slip and foreign objects will cause them to overstretch and snap. Dirt will wear the sprockets too. Just keep the area under there clean.
Twist wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:46 pm Looking forward to this weekend. What bike are you bringing Stephen? I'm leaning toward bringing my GS and riding it to the Sheetz rendezvous from Annapolis instead of having to haul my geared down WR250R.
Going to be the shakedown ride of the new 701LR. Has a whopping 30mi on it or something (ridden it to work twice so far.)
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Firebolter wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:29 pm Sorry I let you ride mine- ;)
I ended up canceling the order. We've got a house under construction and I might just need a few extra dollars come June. I can wait until later in the year...
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Luna sent out an email this morning saying they've got the Black Edition X bike back in stock for $4,100. Get 'em while their hot boys and girls :lol2:

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike-black-edition/
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

I think I have solved the bar end insert problem.

I like running solid bar end plugs on the dirt bikes for the handguards. You use a 5/8-11 tap and loctite a short piece of threaded rod in there. I bought a piece of 5/8-11 aluminum all-thread to chop a short section off of and then drill/tap the center for M8 to make all my own inserts.

That work for dirt bike handlebars but they are about 2x as thick as mtb bars. So doing some careful math and scratching my head, I've figured out I can tap the mtb bars to M20x1. I have done a test tap on the bit of bar ends I cut off the kid's X160. Need to machine and thread the insert now to finish the test.

I'm fitting lightweight all-plastic handguards to the kid's X160 first. Figured it will help protect the throttle and brake levers from all the drops. I think they are the Acerbis 'Rally'. Since his bars have been cut down the inner clamp is on the larger tapered part of the bar (beside the stem) and I had to cut/shape the clamps a little to fit. Will get pics when its done.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

smdub wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:44 am I think I have solved the bar end insert problem.

I like running solid bar end plugs on the dirt bikes for the handguards. You use a 5/8-11 tap and loctite a short piece of threaded rod in there. I bought a piece of 5/8-11 aluminum all-thread to chop a short section off of and then drill/tap the center for M8 to make all my own inserts.

That work for dirt bike handlebars but they are about 2x as thick as mtb bars. So doing some careful math and scratching my head, I've figured out I can tap the mtb bars to M20x1. I have done a test tap on the bit of bar ends I cut off the kid's X160. Need to machine and thread the insert now to finish the test.

I'm fitting lightweight all-plastic handguards to the kid's X160 first. Figured it will help protect the throttle and brake levers from all the drops. I think they are the Acerbis 'Rally'. Since his bars have been cut down the inner clamp is on the larger tapered part of the bar (beside the stem) and I had to cut/shape the clamps a little to fit. Will get pics when its done.

That works great for bar ends. Very solid!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

So anyone who's tapped a bar end to 5/8-11(?) knows its a bit difficult to get it started perfectly straight by eyeballing. I knew M20x1 was going to be IMPOSSIBLE and it has little margin for error between the fine thread and these thin walls. So I bored a tube to the bar diam (which is actually a little over 7/8" and not perfectly round), make a centering 'donut' I could put on the shank of the tap to center it in the tube, then slipped the whole thing over the bar to self align. I could get the tap going well then take off the tap handle and slide the whole tube/donut off to be able to see how deep I was going. Worked like a charm!

My concerns about getting the tap started stright were well founded. I needed to retap one end a little deeper and it was a :censored: trying to get the tap started by hand again in the existing threads. I gave up and put the tube back on.

The bar ends are machined to not have full threads. I figured 10mm or so would do w/o weakening the bar any more than needed. The inserts themselves are about 2x that long and the threads are machined off the inside half to just be a light clearance fit to the ID of the bar and give it more support.
Attachments
PXL_20210520_024240608_r800.jpg
PXL_20210520_023557420_r800.jpg
PXL_20210520_023533938_r800.jpg
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Pretty slick!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Twist wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:54 am Luna sent out an email this morning saying they've got the Black Edition X bike back in stock for $4,100. Get 'em while their hot boys and girls :lol2:

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike-black-edition/

Ya'll talked me into it. I just ordered one of those black editions.

What do I need to do to it when it comes in? For now, I don't think I'm going to hop it up too much. I'll snip the wire or whatever is necessary to remove the limits to it. Down the road, I'll probably want to swap wheels to something bigger. The 26" fatty MTB wheels and tires sound like the route I'd go.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Don't need anything. Just a lot of nice to haves.
A longer aftermarket rear fender is nice to keep the mud off your back.
Some sort of front fender keeps mud off your face.
The skid plate is a little weak. Upgrade to the Race Spec if you start bending up the OE too much.
A taller rise handle bar is nice. I just installed a Protaper 810 yesterday.
A larger rear sprocket (60-64T) trades off some top speed for more grunt off the line and up hills. Install an o-ring chain while you are at it.

Just have fun!!
Remember to check spoke tension often in the beginning.

That makes 7 of these things in DAMN?