I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Sur Ron Tuning

Post by Boom Boom »

I have a CR 500 engine ready to drop into a Huffy 20".....
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Re: Sur Ron Tuning

Post by Twist »

Boom Boom wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:54 pm I have a CR 500 engine ready to drop into a Huffy 20".....
But if you do you still won't have over 140 ft. lbs. of torque available. I'm convinced that with the right tires on it this thing could be a fun way to attack the Widow Maker in Utah. :loveit:
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

Post by Firebolter »

140 ft lbs of torque + 125 lb overall weight of the bike + decent suspension that can handle big air = probable broken bones. :killingme:
Lots of cool bikes---
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Coming to terms with my Sur Ron, day 2:

In preparation for my double secret trail ride today I got busy in the garage installing a much more substantial skid plate; reprogrammed the bike for level 1 regen/braking (previous set at the max level 3); and pulled the signal cable for the front brakes. It's only about a 1.5 hilly trail but it's really tight between and over some low trees, and three creek crossings and now the bike is actually rideable negotiating a few obstacles and working it around some full lock crawling turns. Being able to slow the bike while keeping a little power on it helped in a few tight spots. I may experiment with reactivating the front e-brake and disabling the rear and see if that feels a little more natural working my left lever/rear brakes in slow crawls.

It was about a mile back on some wide mulched trails where it was fun to see how it handled with some speed. I went out with 78% on the battery and returned with 65%. I'll probably lay off on the weekend when the hikers and a few bicyclist are in there but I think this little ride is going to work out perfectly for getting out on the bike just about every day during the week.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I also experimented with holding the e-brake and opening the throttle and then dropping the brake. It hits pretty immediately when you do that so I may continue to experiment with that technique in popping up over obstacles.

I'm looking forward to hearing Sam chime in here on his experience. I've seen him take his Sur Ron on rides that challenged me on the Beta.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Twist wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:48 pm Coming to terms with my Sur Ron, day 2:

In preparation for my double secret trail ride today I got busy in the garage installing a much more substantial skid plate; reprogrammed the bike for level 1 regen/braking (previous set at the max level 3); and pulled the signal cable for the front brakes. It's only about a 1.5 hilly trail but it's really tight between and over some low trees, and three creek crossings and now the bike is actually rideable negotiating a few obstacles and working it around some full lock crawling turns. Being able to slow the bike while keeping a little power on it helped in a few tight spots. I may experiment with reactivating the front e-brake and disabling the rear and see if that feels a little more natural working my left lever/rear brakes in slow crawls.

It was about a mile back on some wide mulched trails where it was fun to see how it handled with some speed. I went out with 78% on the battery and returned with 65%. I'll probably lay off on the weekend when the hikers and a few bicyclist are in there but I think this little ride is going to work out perfectly for getting out on the bike just about every day during the week.
That sounds super cool Wes!
Only going out during week is probably a good idea. If you are going to be in some "gray" areas. Consider wearing a bike helmet. Might help you blend in a little better, more likely for people to think you are on an ebike from a distance at least
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

I dug out my wiring schematic and it looks like the brake, sidestand and dump switches are all normally off and when they see 12 volts they signal the controller to cut power the motor. I don't know if the dump switch is a latching thing but stays on once triggered until you cycle the key off?

Brakes are green/yellow going to the controller, sidestand is a sort of turquoise (green/blue) wire and dump switch is black/brown

The green/black wire that you cut is just a wire from controller to ground

twist: "im going to keep it stock"
me: :tape:

:lol2:

Should be fun when we get the whole swarm of light bees together!
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

davej wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:38 pm

Yeah, I guess "...for now.." .didn't last very long :cheers:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

If it couldn't be hopped up, where's the fun? :thumbup:

Got mine set up for the most part, just gotta change the rear sprocket. Gonna ride the stock tires for a bit. I put some Acerbis barkbusters on it as I had a spare set and added a set of 2.5 inch rise SPANK bars in a Pro Taper stem. And added the fat boy spring to the rear shock, much better now. Solid and now it feels alot better with the bars and updated rear spring. Like Wes, I have a secret loop right out of my house. Mine is some serious undulation, hills and game trails through the woods. I have lived here for ~8 years now and I am the only person I have ever seen in the woods on my peninsula. My girlfriend and I walked some of the new stuff I have yet to ride in and man is it good! No way I could get in there on gas but on a ebike, it will be rage city within 5 min of my house and have it all to myself!
Lots of cool bikes---
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

davej wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:38 pm I dug out my wiring schematic and it looks like the brake, sidestand and dump switches are all normally off and when they see 12 volts they signal the controller to cut power the motor. I don't know if the dump switch is a latching thing but stays on once triggered until you cycle the key off?

Brakes are green/yellow going to the controller, sidestand is a sort of turquoise (green/blue) wire and dump switch is black/brown

The green/black wire that you cut is just a wire from controller to ground

I didn't say it before but thanks for the info on the bike's wiring.