I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Re: Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

Post by Twist »

The kids near me have been working hard on creating a MTB agility type playground in an empty wooded lot across the street from my home. I was just out there on the SurRon and ride there just about every day for 20 minutes to fool around. It's a place I can crawl around and hop over obstacles like a trials weenie or pound on the big berms they've created to hit some singles and doubles to get some air. It puts a smile on my face every time and it's even better that no one hears me in there having a great time.

With that kind of riding, Stephen you've triggered an action item to go over the bike checking spokes and making sure everything has loctite on it.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Made mud protectors for the rear shocks today. The little X160 I just put it under the rear reflector at the top since there are no wires in the way. The SurRon I put behind the light.
20210531_X160_shock__cover_r640.jpg
20210531_rubber_shock_cover5_r640.jpg
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I put a mud protector on mine and it sure does work well! There was so much crud that thing stopped before getting all around the shock and frame.
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Yeah, the shocks get pretty nasty. I've had it on my 'to do' list for a while but just never got around to it until now. I have a bunch of material here if anyone needs some. I just used a 5.5" wide strip.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

smdub wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:20 pm Don't need anything. Just a lot of nice to haves.
A longer aftermarket rear fender is nice to keep the mud off your back.
Some sort of front fender keeps mud off your face.
The skid plate is a little weak. Upgrade to the Race Spec if you start bending up the OE too much.
A taller rise handle bar is nice. I just installed a Protaper 810 yesterday.
A larger rear sprocket (60-64T) trades off some top speed for more grunt off the line and up hills. Install an o-ring chain while you are at it.

Just have fun!!
Remember to check spoke tension often in the beginning.

That makes 7 of these things in DAMN?
Since you and bigbird both have a pair, i count 8.

I agree to just ride the piss out of a newly aquired surron and see what you think would make it better for you. Its easy to get caught up in what others said were 'must haves"

That said, i think i've done most of what modifications are available and have not regretted any of them
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Yeah, I'd say the front and rear fenders are a must. Otherwise you'll be wearing a lot of trail when you park it. Then just ride the snot out of it and see what you think it needs. My mods include a bar riser, 54T sprocket, mud flap, rear Stinko trials tire (I'm more of a slow ride club SurRon guy), a switch to be able to turn off the headlight, a switch on the "green wire" (vs. just cutting it) so I can neuter the bike for kids to ride it but switch it back for my rides, hmmm, that may be it for now.

After riding for a day with Bigbird and Firebolter up at Bucho's place, I'm thinking the upsized front wheel would be nice but I'm just not ready yet to dump that much money it to something I'm really enjoying near home on some local tracks.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

FedEx freight called me today to schedule delivery. June 15 :thumbup:
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I am glad I went with the larger rear sprocket, IMO, that is a must. So much more pep and hill climbing torque now. The higher bars are nice too! If you decide you don't care for the stock pegs (I hate them), you can order some cheapies off amazon for better grip. Any 2011+ RMZ250/450 pegs work perfectly. It is a fun little machine. I always smile when I am riding mine!
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

juddspaintballs wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:25 pm FedEx freight called me today to schedule delivery. June 15 :thumbup:
Floggin Jed's new electric bike at Phil's place on 16 June :deal:
Bruce
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Laoch wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:32 pm
juddspaintballs wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:25 pm FedEx freight called me today to schedule delivery. June 15 :thumbup:
Floggin Jed's new electric bike at Phil's place on 16 June :deal:
I like that idea! Phil's is PERFECT spot for riding them. I had such fun last time Wes and I went out there with our Surrons and rode with Phil.
Lots of cool bikes---