I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

Post by smdub »

We got the SurRons out to Eagle Bay yesterday. Kid did really well on his 'new' X160. Took him all of 5min to settl in and get it slightly airborne. Even in Eco mode it has a lot more power and speed than the OSET 20R. We did the kiddie tracks a few times, the short loop once, then ran through half the short loop and started the long loop (planning to take the cutoff to not do it all.) Well, that was a bit too much. The long loop is just technical enough the kid lost his mojo and fell a lot. We made it to the cutoff but he was done. Said he really enjoyed riding, He learned a *TON*. First time he's ever really been on single track. He's going to eat up Mountain Ridge next mo.

He can't quite touch the ground on the X160. Does fine leaning off the side when he comes to a controlled stop but in the technical stuff being able to put his feet down would really help. I've dropped the rear as far as it will go but will look into taking some preload out of the front fork (might see if I can swap my in old RST Killah and just drop the tubes through the triples a lot.) Cutting a seat down is another option I've considered.

Can confirm the X160 has a tip-over sensor (tested it often) so hopefully I can just reprogram the brake interlocks to be turned on again.

I didn't get to ride my SurRon in anger for a whole loop since I was following the kid but did goof off on it in spurts. Holy cow, it's mental! Wheelies everywhere. Dan took it for a ride on the short loop chasing another friend riding a 300XCW. Said it was the most fun he's had on 2-wheels in a long time.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Thats awesome Stephen!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

Since this is the geek thread, ill ask if anyone has redundant electronics gear available. Oscilloscope, soldering station, that type of stuff.

Also need a handheld marine vhf radio.

As for the surron, it's pretty well tuned, i moved my regen button to a better spot. I switched back to my stock battery and it works perfect with the nucular controller for all the stuff on my farm. My frankenbattery is only needed for special occasions like this coming weekend at granvilles. anybody else coming out? :eats:

Big bird came down and we worked on his light bee a bit, his bike is getting set up pretty well
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

I hav an old Tek 453M scope that I haven't used in ages. I just use something from work if I need it. I could dig it out and sell it if you want an inexpensive scope.

We've settled on Hakko FX888s at the office for general stuff. They last forever compared to other models, fast heatup, excellent temp regulation, inexpensive tips. I have it's predecessor still going strong after ~30yrs. Most imortantly, the parts are still available/compatible.
We've recently discovered the Hakko FX601 at work for heavier work. It's FANTASTIC! About $65, heats up fast, puts out a ton of heat when needed, has infinitely better regulation than those old huge 100W irons. Can do almost anything their $1000 FX801 can do (we have one of those at the office too.) I think smaller tips are available for it for more delicate work. If I had to own only one iron, the 601 would be it. I liked them so much at work I went and bought one for my home use. It's fantastic for RC battery cables and the like.

I have the thumb regen lever working w/ the Nucular. Works well but it's in an awkward spot to use (or remember it's even there.) If I trimmed the lever a little narrower I could rotate it so it hung down and maybe was in a more comfortable spot. Though now that I figured out the regen setup, I'm going to try and add a pot (or magnetic hall sensor) to the rear brake lever and just make it automatic.
Resizer_16187557758160.jpg
Edit: I've been doing a lot of reading on the StormBee. It has a reverse button. Sounds like a novelty at first but reading some other e-bikes w/ it, sounds kinda fun/useful. Might fit something and see how it works out. Was thinking about repurposing the horn button but that's been useful to get kiddo's attention when he was in front of me. I could fit the two Cardo units I have to our helmets so I can just talk to him but not sure I want to listen to his non-stop chatter on an otherwise peaceful ride :angel:
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

This scope isnt too far from me
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 309800973/

I have reverse programmed as one of the nucular hot keys on the display. it was actually useful one time when the front end was down in a creek
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

For VHF marine handheld, if you like to tinker a Baofeng UV-5R is hard to beat. Download the programming software and either make or purchase a programming cable and you can have a vhf marine, UHF GMRS radio, VHF/UHF analog Ham radio. If you prefer something simple and waterproof, then probably just a cheap Cobra marine handheld.

Baofeng UV-5R

programming cable

Cobra

Jason
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Well, after seeing 4 sur rons in action (Dave's first back in 2019, and then Wes', Bill's, and Sam's today) I just ordered one. :cheers: They're supposed to be ready in June. They charged me right away but I suppose that's the way it is with something in demand like these... This probably means I'll have to put off the idea of getting a beta 390 rr-s any time soon.

I'm wondering if I may end up with the pedal kit considering the sheer quantity of local constables out and about.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Sorry I let you ride mine- ;)
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

If you do buy a pedal kit, don't get the Luna one. There is an oftermarket one (can't remember the name) that actually works.

FWIW, I had HadesOmega ship me his Luna #219 chain kit - well, the pieces left over after he destroyed it. Holy cow is it poorly made! The sprockets are complete junk Don't buy one of those either. Between that and a #35 chain kit I picked up I should be able to piece together enough info to make my own #219 kit w/ an o-ring chain. I know I'm on borrowed time pushing big power through the OE belt.

Didn't know the whole DAMN SurRon group was going out to Bucho's today ;) Would have tried to make it.
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

smdub wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:13 pm If you do buy a pedal kit, don't get the Luna one. There is an oftermarket one (can't remember the name) that actually works.
Kaniwaba makes a very high quality kit. I bought the faux pedal version that just freewheels but have decided I won't try to use it for any nefarious purposes :) If anyone wants it I'd be happy to pass it along at a substantial "friends and family" discount.
FWIW, I had HadesOmega ship me his Luna #219 chain kit - well, the pieces left over after he destroyed it. Holy cow is it poorly made! The sprockets are complete junk Don't buy one of those either. Between that and a #35 chain kit I picked up I should be able to piece together enough info to make my own #219 kit w/ an o-ring chain. I know I'm on borrowed time pushing big power through the OE belt.
Is the primary belt drive something I should be concerned about running the OEM configuration battery and controller?
Didn't know the whole DAMN SurRon group was going out to Bucho's today ;) Would have tried to make it.
Well, I know one thing for sure after yesterday's ride and that is that the OEM 19" front wheel and tire is not very good for the kind of riding we were doing rolling over rocks, roots, etc. I got to see both Bill's MTB solution as well as Sam's motorcycle wheels and tires so there's some figgering in my future on which way to go. That said, we had a blast riding the SurRons until they were low on juice.

Looking forward to this weekend. What bike are you bringing Stephen? I'm leaning toward bringing my GS and riding it to the Sheetz rendezvous from Annapolis instead of having to haul my geared down WR250R.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain