I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Wiggly supermoto

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Wiggly supermoto

Post by juddspaintballs »

Marylander wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:29 pmSounds like the 1090 survived. Was that while commuting?
1090 fared well. Some replacement parts thanks to insurance and new riding gear and I'm whole again. I rode home from the wreck, so there's that. I was about an hour from home on my way to Tennessee.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

juddspaintballs wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:52 pm1090 fared well. Some replacement parts thanks to insurance and new riding gear and I'm whole again. I rode home from the wreck, so there's that. I was about an hour from home on my way to Tennessee.
I'm glad it "worked out" and that your gear did its job. Screwed up your trip... I have managed to never really test street gear besides helmets (hit by cars twice and had the helmets destroyed both times). No sliding down the road for me yet.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

That's my 4th street crash.

The first was when I was hit by a car in 2007 on my Honda Magna. By chance it was cold enough I was wearing my newly purchased riding pants and jacket along with my full-face helmet instead of my usual jeans, long sleeve shirt, and 3/4 helmet. I took a slide down the road on my face. Tourmaster jacket and pants and a no-name helmet from eBay.

The second was when the rear of the ST slid on a summer hot wet road with a bald tire that I was literally on my way to get changed out. The bike low sided at about 30 mph and only tore up my riding pants (Tourmaster).

The third was when I thought I was Valentino Rossi and playing on twisty roads down in NC with some riding buddies. I was on a KLR with knobbies. They were on VFRs or better. I passed my buddy on his VFR on the inside of a corner and had to keep leaning to make the curve. The knobby ran out of lean and I low sided far enough in front of my buddy that he didn't hit me. I took a slide for the ditch and broke a couple ribs against a concrete culvert. This set of gear was trashed (Olympia jacket and pants).

I never crashed in the Aerostich or Motoport, though I suspect they would have more than adequately protected me. This Klim (Badlands Pro jacket and Carlsbad pants) held up fantastically, though they are only meant for one crash. I kept the jacket for DS rides because it is still protective, just not waterproof anymore.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

smdub is spot on. My WR400, in supermoto trim, was super twitchy with 17" wheels front and rear. It went away and all was well with 17" rear and 19" front. Or you can lower the rear suspension to compensate. But decreasing both wheel diameters asymmetrically like that ruins the geometry.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Yeah, I calmed the bike down a bunch but it's still a little squirrely. So, I ordered a kouba link to bring the rear down to get it settled some more. It's a whole lot cheaper than buying a set of SMC forks. :thumbup: