I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Shorten o-ring chain?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Shorten o-ring chain?

Post by smdub »

Ok, so I have a custom need. I need a shorter o-ring chain than is typically available. Ok, so no big deal. You partly grind off the rivet head, press out the old pin connecting the extra part of the chain you no longer need, discard, and install the master link in its place right? Well, its not that simple... I want to use a o-ring #219 chain like used by high end go-karts. Those don't use a master link and come assembled in a continuous loop. I have only found two manufacturers (RK and DID) that even make #219 o-ring chain. So, the pins are all just peened over on the ends like any other o-ring chain. Surely a clever person could still grind one pin end off and separate the unneeded part of the chain (w/o overheating the o-ring underneath.) That part is easy. But can you use the discarded links and 'unpeen' one enough to be able to be riveted back in as the master link? I think I only need ~70 links and the shortest chain available is 100 links. So I'd have ~15 pair to practice on to not bugger one up too bad.

Anyone ever attempted this?
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Shorten o-ring chain?

Post by Boom Boom »

Motion Pro makes a nice chain set to push the pins and rivet them back together. They have masters to rivet same as masters with the clip. Honestly pretty easy if you have decent tools. Also has the compressor to compress together for clip install. Keep it in my van. I would get a new master to rivet, not sure if they are longer to allow the extra length to rivet or if the ends may not be treated and rolls over easier.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

AFAIK, There are no such things as master links for #219 o-ring chain. Thats the crux of the problem.

I have a Motion Pro tool (or one just like it.) I'm fairly sure it won't press a peened/staked pin out or in. What I'm asking is if anyone has ever carefully 'unpeened' a link and then used a tool like the MotionPro to press it out, reinsert, them re-peen. If I can get a link out intact, I could center drill the pins slightly to flare out like a typical rivet style master-link.

This is a different size chain, but a representative what all the pins look like:

I'm thinking I would have to cut/split a link and peel it off w/o harming the pin, hammer the peens out to make it suitable to reuse as a master link. Then destroy a few more links to scavenge a some good o-rings and a side plate. Then put everything back together. Seems like a PITA.

I could use 8mm or even #35 chain but those don't readily come in o-ring versions. Might just have to live w/ a non o-ring #219 chain and lube/replace it often.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

You’re like a mad scientist. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

I push the peened pins out with no issues. You would need to reshape to go back in. Would think you can push the pin out from both sides of link the spin the pin and use hardened steel to roll the peen back to pin diameter. I have a hardened steel I use to burnish wood scrapers blades. Something of that grade should be able to roll the peen back. Assemble and peen both sides again. Just my $.02
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

You MIGHT? find that a 420 (or some other wider chain) uses the same diameter pins and you could grind down the ends of one then insert it and pean in on the ends?
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I would think that if you used a smaller diameter punch or tool to press the peened pin through that you might be able to get it out in a form good enough to re-peen again after insertion. The side plate you push the peened pin through would probably be destroyed, but if you have plenty of links it doesn't really matter.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I have a rivet tool that I have successfully, trail side, done what you want to do with a 520 chain. Yours for the borrowing.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

I use a 4 inch angle grinder to grind down the head of the pin and push it through with a drift.
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

juddspaintballs wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:45 pm I would think that if you used a smaller diameter punch or tool to press the peened pin through that you might be able to get it out in a form good enough to re-peen again after insertion. The side plate you push the peened pin through would probably be destroyed, but if you have plenty of links it doesn't really matter.
maybe i shouldnt admit it but I did this very thing on my KTM RFS bike cam chain. :shrug: I couldnt wait for a new link so I just re-peened the thing. Had to adjust the peen amount because the link was too stiff at first from too much peening. I think i just tried to get the size of the mushroomed end about the same diameter as the normal pins. Yes, a ball peen hammer was used :thumbup: