I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Mini Moto still a thing? (AKA what to do w/ odd TTR125 wheels)

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Mini Moto still a thing? (AKA what to do w/ odd TTR125 wheels)

Post by smdub »

I know Phoo has raced some mini motos @ Sandy Hook. Is mini-moto racing still a thing much anymore? Seems like its really died out.

Anyway, I picked up a TTR125L project over the winter (don't know why I already have too many projects.) I have it sort of running again (but then it dies suddenly too - might be the petcock.) Anyway, it has all the BBR upgrades including a 150cc BBK. :thumbup: I *THINK* someone may have been mini racing it as the forks are slid up in the triples about 1" and the 19" front wheel has been relaced to 17" rims (still using the L disc hub.) I actually have two of these odd-duck 17" disc front wheels. Anyway, I can't figure out what they would have been doing w/ it w/ a small front wheel and dropped forks other than some sort of mini racing? I'd like to find a stock 19" front wheel for it but haven't found one on ebay in the few months I've been searching. So I may have to buy a new 19" rim & spoke kit (about $150) and steal a hub from one of the 17" wheels. But I can't help think that someone spend some time and money on those wheels and I might be able to sell/swap them instead. Or someone wants to convert their little TTR125 (non-L) to a front disc brakes (w/ the appropriate fork swap.)

Trying to get all of the mini beater-bikes running soon as will be dragging some moto newb friends off to Tomahawk MX or Mountain Ridge so trying to decide.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Mini Moto still a thing? (AKA what to do w/ odd TTR125 wheels)

Post by Marylander »

The indoor go cart track in sterling, va that used to host mini moto track time (not racing) is gone. :( I had a lot of fun out there the little that I went.

I rode my ttr125 a little bit but mostly used a borrowed crf150r (which made like 21hp stock on the RnR dyno, if memory serves, a freak motor apparently). Poor air cooled bikes were no match even with lots and lots of mods.
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

I've read a couple different sets of rules but the water cooled and air cooled are completely different classes. Using the Sandy Hook rules:
https://www.sandyhookspeedway.com/uploa ... .11.21.pdf
A 150cc air cooled is F2 (no liquid cooled 4-strokes). 150cc water cooled is F3 class.
If I ran it wouldn't be to be competitive - just to have fun. But it sort of sounds like this TTR150 was built for something like the F2 class. I'm guessing if 'road racing' a smaller front wheel and lowered triple would steepen the head angle and reduce trail considerably. Meh, sounds like I should just convert one of these wheels back to 19"
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

Maybe post a want to trade classified over on supermoto junky forums they have a mini specific forum.

Jason