I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

CRF250X dual sport converting

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

CRF250X dual sport converting

Post by juddspaintballs »

I just picked up a CRF250X with a bunch of goodies on it already. I've ordered a few things for it already, but it will need more if I want to DS it. I do not have a MSO, but I can get a BOS if I need it. I would like to get it plated (South Dakota?).

Here's what I've bought for it so far:
New front tire
New plastics
New battery
Motor oil and transmission oil change kit

I bought it from Skip who has ridden with a few of you on here once or twice. He's looking for the stock fork springs for me since apparently they are perfect for my weight. I'll need a new rear spring, though. He does not have the factory headlight/shroud, so I'll need to get a headlight for it. I'll need a new brake light that can be brake/stop and the appropriate hydraulic switches to make that work. I'll forego turn signals and a horn. I have a mirror for it already. I'll probably slap a Trail Tech on there for an accurate speedometer.

I know at one point Skip had the valves repaired with Kibblewhite valves and new seats cut. He was never hard on the machine when he "raced" it and it really hasn't seen that many hours with him either. It's been sitting a couple years, so I'll clean the carb and get the tires up to snuff. Once I get the suspension sorted, it'll be a spare trail bike for me and a spare DS bike as well. I don't see a reason not to have a street legal dirt bike although I probably wouldn't normally ride it on a DS adventure.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
beejaytee
aka Heather

Re: CRF250X dual sport converting

Post by beejaytee »

Depending how much you want to spend baja designs makes an offroad wire harness that is just a headlight and tail/brake light harness. A squadron sport headlight and a brake light bulb with three pins should cover you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Nice, I'll look into that. That's really about all it needs. I'd be fine with even a standard H4 headlight for as much as I'd actually use it. The OEM tail light is a little line of LEDs and it's 2-pin only, but there are drop in LED tail/brake lights for it.

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I had a South Dakota tag on one of my bikes. I don't even remember which one although I do remember it being easy to get. My trailer is regged in Maine. Don't know if that's an option but that was easy too.

I rode someone's crf250x out at taskers and really liked it. It was so much easier to ride than my kx250. :killingme: I'm betting Skip doesn't have the kx any more.

I understand soft valves or seats were a big problem on those so good you've got that already taken care of.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

I believe the KX is long gone
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Brent, is this the harness you're referring to?

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/wi ... versal.asp

Then a Squadron Sport headlight with mask, a 3-wire tail light, and two hydraulic brake switches is all I need, right?

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Sq ... -Light.asp

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/1350

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/1272
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

Yes that’s all you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Thats cool. I agree w/ you. Its nice to have your dirtbikes tagged, even if its rarely needed.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

I forgot how much of a PITA working on this CRF is. I pulled the carburetor off today and cleaned it, dumped the old gas in my old truck with a fresh tank of fuel in it, put fresh gas in after I had the carburetor back in, and hooked the battery charger to it so I could fire it up. It fired no problem and rode fine other than two flat tires that will be addressed soon.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »