I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

ECU flashing

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

ECU flashing

Post by Firebolter »

I am thinking I might pull the ECU off the 700 and get it flashed. There are 2 niggles I do not like with the stock mapping; decel Injector cutoff and the snatchy throttle off idle. While I was riding the ADV ride last weekend, the bike runs and fuels pretty good, but it you chop the throttle, the injectors get zero'd and it causes the bike to feel like it is on/off. Also, the fans come on a little later than they should and the bike runs a tad hotter than it should. I never felt any excessive heat but I did feel it a bit when I held my hand down by the motor.

Like most modern bikes, the ignition timing needs some work and need to get rid of the injector cut off in the mapping and have the timing tweaked. Get the fan temp adjusted as well. All of this is done obn stock mapping so these things can meet emissions BS and it sucks!

There is a company that has been tuning the MZ/FZ 700/CP2 motors for years now and they get many positive nods for great work. They have a deal going on now for 239 bucks to re-flash and that includes lifetime updates and re-flashes as long as you own the bike. So you could restore to stock if you wanted or get a free update if it becomes avail.

I am happy with the bike, like it alot, but like most newer EFI bikes, it could use some better mapping to really maximize the potential of the motor.
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: ECU flashing

Post by Firebolter »

I decided to go for it and take advantage of the sale, pulled off the ECU and took it to FEDEX yesterday early afternoon to ship it to Kirkland Wa where the vendor is based. Sent it with 400$ insurance and 2-3 day delivery. Total was 16.85

Checked the tracking this morning and it got to Seattle @0700 this morning.

Shipping has been so hit or miss in the last year but in my experience, FEDEX has been the best and for 16 bucks with insurance and it is almost at the destination in 1 day, thats pretty awesome!
Lots of cool bikes---
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Companies keep apologizing to me about things taking 3 weeks to arrive in Priority USPS - "It's the pandemic you know..." Yeah, I know. That's a very good reason to not use USPS because your apology isn't doing me any good. I've gotten my shipping charge refunded a couple of times from companies that insist on using USPS.

Some things just burn me up when companies put the pain on the customer when their are other options that might not be as cheap. OK, give me the choice to pay for UPS or FedX then. Grrrrr..
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I shipped the ECU off on the Friday the 7th via FEDEX. It got delivered Tuesday 11th. 2Wheeldynoworks flashed it that day and sent it back out that same day. I got the shipping email that night and it was delivered on Sat the 15th. That is part of their deal, flash and re-ship same day as delivered-good stuff.

I put the ECU back in and turned the key on with my code reader plugged in. I pulled the codes and cleared them. When you remove the ECU it will throw a code and light up the MIL light on the dash when you re-install the ECU, so you need to clear the code to make the MIL light reset.

Cleared the code, turned the key off and back on and fired it up. Starts right up and immediately goes to a smooth idle. Stock, it would high idle for a minute or two then settle down. Took off for a check flight and am very happy with the fueling.

Big things the ECU flash addressed:
1. Injector cut off at throttle chop disabled. This is the best thing I wanted to fix. Now when you chop the throttle, the bike slow revs down and doesn't feel like the ignition has cut off. Slow speed work in rocks and such will be much easier now as I won't have the deal with the off and on feeling of the power when riding around idle and slight off-idle situations. That alone was worth the 240 bucks.
2. Fan temp. Stock, the ECU lets the engine temps get up to ~200ish degrees for emission reasons before the fans come on. Now the fans will come on at 185 degree keeping the motor running cooler than stock.
3. Timing. The new tune optimizes the timing curve across the rev range. Just makes for smoother throttle response and max power across the range. I don't feel any real added power as much as the bike revs up cleaner and faster now. Much more linear. Stock the bike ran good but it is just smoother and cleaner now.

All in all, a good investment. Now the bikes runs as it should have from the factory. I do need to run hi-test to make the motor runs at it's peak as the mapping is set up for 91 octane. 2wheeldynoworks offers free flashes for life so if you ever need an updated map for mods you may make in the future or you want to return to stock tune for some reason, just ship them the ECU and get it re-flashed for no charge.
Lots of cool bikes---