I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

Am I being offensive?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Am I being offensive?

Post by Bucho » Tue May 25, 2021 7:05 pm

The other week I was talking to some non-motorcycle people. They were asking me some questions about my bikes. I have two Japanese (Yamaha and Suzuki) motorcycles. I referred to them as “Jap bikes”.

They instantly recoiled and thought my using the word “Jap” is racist and offensive.

While I disagreed, I certainly mean the term with respect. Ive had many Japanese bikes over the years and they have all been great. I feel people shorten longer words into smaller one syllable words all the time.

But I thought about it. Am I being unintentionally racist?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200

Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Am I being offensive?

Post by Marylander » Tue May 25, 2021 7:52 pm

Some people consider it basically the same as "gook", "chink", and similar. It was definitely used as a derogatory term to refer to Japanese and Japanese-Americans in the WWII era. I don't have an issue with it myself but then I'm a white middle class guy so... :shrug: If you offended some other white middle class people I would be less concerned than if you said it to a Japanese person and they were offended.

Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer » Tue May 25, 2021 10:22 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. In my mind it's about intent. You didn't intend to offend therfore, no offense, unless they where Japanese and said they were offended. If someone, not Japanese, claimed offense for the Japanese people, that's virtue signaling and is (IMHO) the smelliest kind of bullshit.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Wed May 26, 2021 6:07 am

You should have referred to your bikes as “rice burners”.

That would make the Beta what? Spaghetti burner?

In the world of motorcycle people that’s a common term. But as we all know this country is going batshit crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruce

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Wed May 26, 2021 6:44 am

Laoch wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:07 am
You should have referred to your bikes as “rice burners”.

That would make the Beta what? Spaghetti burner?

In the world of motorcycle people that’s a common term. But as we all know this country is going batshit crazy.
that was funny!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist » Wed May 26, 2021 7:27 am

I'm with Bruce on the batshit crazy comment. We're living in a society where woke people are spring loaded to take offense and making up all kinds of new words to which they'll react negatively. I've never heard the term "virtue signaling" but it seems perfectly suitable to describe someone who is eager to show the world that they are more sensitive or woke than you.

I've always considered Jap bike a term of respect for the decades of industry leading engineering and quality that their products represent. All that said, with all the sensitivity over asian hate these days (if such a thing actually exists) it's probably time to adjust our language.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain

Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter » Wed May 26, 2021 7:58 am

I lived in Japan for 3 years and have worked with the Japanese off/on for 40 years. "Jap" bikes is just shortening down the word Japanese to Jap, but it is considered offensive to them. Then when the term "Jewish American Princess" or JAP came about, it got another label attached to the term JAP further making it a negative term.

People will make up or assign a negative connotation and use that good ole "racism" label to give them something to use against the person saying it or any other phrase the woke don't agree with. Intent and users interpretation of meaning of the word or phrase in question is NEVER CONSIDERED. It is always how it makes "them" feel. Well f_ck you, grow up and quit being such a pussy. I so tired of the selfish, intolerant and one sided views I am seeing in this country. All it is doing is making more division, but then again, that is the goal-

Phil, you are not a racist, you are like alot of people who just don't get caught up in the minutia of every little word or phrase. You used a shortened word to refer to a motorcycle, not as race or individual, a thing built in a certain country. If you are talking to or about a Japanese person, well then you might not want to use the term.

I have no idea how offensive the term may be to all those chicks in NY and NJ. ;)
Lots of cool bikes---

Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom » Wed May 26, 2021 12:45 pm

Non motorcycle people.. End of story... I normally will not waste my time attempting to explain anything motorcycle related.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr

chuck marler
DAMN n00b

Post by chuck marler » Thu May 27, 2021 7:48 am

JAP bikes is just part of our normal vocabulary, describing a class of motorcycles of particular quality and style. Positive or negative is how I use it in a sentence.
a lack of familiarity with the term gave your audience the luxury of interpreting your intent, based on their preconceptions. They probably watch too much TV
People judge themselves by their intentions, and others by their actions. We all judge, it's in our very nature. Our goal is to judge with compassion kindness and understanding
Don't beat yourself up over it, those folks just haven't learned to challenge their own preconceptions interpreting what they see and hear.
Teachable moment, that's all it was.
Come over for Japanese food at my house tomorrow and we'll go ride trials bikes at Bobby's

Granville
DAMN Poohba

Post by Granville » Thu May 27, 2021 2:16 pm

In the context you were using it, specifying the country of origin, I see no more problem abbreviating Japanese to Jap than United State of America to American.
525EXC Jim's
250CRF James's
200XCW Jack's
225TTR Lauren's
400Big Bear Tanya's
The family that rides together always has someone to tell them why they crashed.