I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

6/19, Emmitsburg Ride

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: 6/19, Emmitsburg Ride

Post by juddspaintballs »

I'm only bringing the Sur-Ron. Due to logistics, it will be the easiest to take to work for the next two days and then bring on up to Emmitsburg Saturday morning. I have my battery chainsaw with me as well. I'm ready to cut some trail and ride a little bit, making a short day of it. I only have Saturday and Sunday to prepare for my trip to Montana on the 1090, so I'd like a little bit of time at home on Saturday. I also need to smoke some chuck roast for pulled beef sammiches.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
OTTO
DAMN n00b

Post by OTTO »

I haven't done much of anything with DAMN riders in quite a few years. Longer than I would like to admit. Anyway, I'd like to come and help with trail work and ride a bit. Let me know what tools I need. Seems you have plenty of saws, I have a normal assortment of hand tools.
Paul McN.
18 KTM 250 EXC-F
16 Honda Africa Twin
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

OTTO wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:17 pm I haven't done much of anything with DAMN riders in quite a few years. Longer than I would like to admit. Anyway, I'd like to come and help with trail work and ride a bit. Let me know what tools I need. Seems you have plenty of saws, I have a normal assortment of hand tools.
Sending you a PM
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Looking forward to the ride tomorrow guys. Weather looks decent.

I have a package of kielbasa type sausage Ill bring for the grill.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

The rain held off and we had good weather, could have been cooler.
Adam and new guy Dave arrived a little early. Dave volunteered to drive the buggy and Adam and I were on bikes. We found quite a few logs down that needed cutting.

Then we gathered the whole crew and got a lot done. Paul and Jed were troopers and volunteered to trim face slappers on a whole bunch of trails. The rest of us walked thru this creek cutting logs and making a hard enduro line.

We did a nice cruise through most of the trails. Unfortunately both new guys took some falls and will have some sore ribs for a while.
I believe both Adam and Dave obtained video footage.

All in all was a great day.

Ill put up some pics later.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Had a great time again. Was good to put a few more faces to names. Thanks for inviting us.
Next time will be a trials bike kind of day to try that new creek line :thumbup:
Wish I was running video when your DRZ buddy fell on the bridge. That looked painful.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
JGalt
DAMN n00b

Post by JGalt »

Alas, Doc says I'll need chill out for a couple weeks--read: slightly fractured rib w/ limited physical activity.

Adam, if there was any video captured, by all means feel free to dispose of it in any manner you see fit...I'd rather not watch my perfectly good bike, with me atop, involuntarily rolling backwards and falling over;-) I yi yi...what a bone head move on my part!!? I really wish I could have hung in there a little longer, what a fun place it seemed to be. And I loved the electric bikes--their weight advantage is both attractive and undeniable.

With abundant humility, and head hung low, I thank you all for the invite and hope to someday have another opportunity to ride with you...and perhaps, to redeem myself. As I said, I'm a noob and boy, did it show!

Regards,
Dave
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Dave, sorry to hear about the ribs. I've broken a few bones riding dirt. It wasn't fun. I've broken ribs before, but that was on a street bike. Also, not fun. I hope you heal up quickly and get back on the horse ASAP. Learning how to ride off road as an adult was one of the hardest challenges for me so far. I'm still not good at it, but I can get by most of the time.

The 690 is an awesome machine and, while quite capable on those trails, is a bit bigger than a sane person would normally choose to use out there. If at all possible, I'd recommend a much smaller machine for navigating that type of terrain.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Dave, don't be too hard on yourself. A 690 is a LOT of bike to be riding there even for an experienced rider. Being new to offroad I tip my hat to you for just trying.

Let us know when you heal up and want to try again. I have 3-4 small loaner bikes and maybe we can figure out how to meet up at a more beginner friendly spot. Maybe Peters Mill run down in VA or Mountain Ridge in PA.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

1. jgalt, from what i saw when i was behind you, you had a pretty good pace on the jeep road/ two track stuff. stood up when you needed, sliding the rear etc. good foundation to build upon...

2. I am offering a $100 bounty to the first guy who can ride up bucho's proposed creek section. Its sort of the equivalent of the "butt crack" trail at kairos for those who are familiar. if you dont need the 100, i'll donate it to the webmaster or a fund etc

3. thanks bucho! good to meet all the others there, i only recognized our host, bambam and junior...