I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

6/19, Emmitsburg Ride

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: 6/19, Emmitsburg Ride

Post by Bucho »

Some log clearing w/ Adam and Dave
BCD3511A-75EB-4141-8143-FCDCAF6A3DEB.jpeg
A couple box turtles I moved off the trail.
4D77741E-E25A-45D6-BDAB-0BBB115819E6.jpeg
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Across the creek there are some trees down.
710A2597-779A-44AD-BAE7-65679549343D.jpeg
72965769-D15A-481A-A390-2342A07D286C.jpeg
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

690 on the trails? Broken ribs? Wow.
New creek line challenge accepted.
Bruce
JGalt
DAMN n00b

Post by JGalt »

Jed, Stephen and DaveJ,

Thank you for the words of encouragement--very kind. Perhaps next time I'll take Stephen up on his offer to borrow a smaller, more manageable bike.

Postscript: I think a different back tire on the 690 couldn't hurt either. Although I own the mistake, the Continental TKC 80 "Twindoro" just didn't get the grip I needed or would have expected. I'd happily take recommendations. D606? Something else? I don't have any experience but for that which I've read about on ADVrider.com.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

JGalt wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:37 am Jed, Stephen and DaveJ,

Thank you for the words of encouragement--very kind. Perhaps next time I'll take Stephen up on his offer to borrow a smaller, more manageable bike.

Postscript: I think a different back tire on the 690 couldn't hurt either. Although I own the mistake, the Continental TKC 80 "Twindoro" just didn't get the grip I needed or would have expected. I'd happily take recommendations. D606? Something else? I don't have any experience but for that which I've read about on ADVrider.com.

Im sorry. I really should have asked you about your tire pressure. Im sure we could have lowered pressure for better traction. Then just pumped it back up for your ride home on the road.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
JGalt
DAMN n00b

Post by JGalt »

No worries, I hadn't thought about tire pressure either. We've all heard the old axiom, "Experience is a hard teacher..." Going forward I'll certainly consider that important factor in any off-road setting. It's all good.
OTTO
DAMN n00b

Post by OTTO »

I had a fun time riding and meeting everyone yesterday. Good trails with a lot of variations to challenge most skill levels. I only dropped my bike three times yesterday, the bike sustained a bit of damage to protective parts that did their jobs, but not me. So thas good.

Sorry to hear about the fractured ribs, been there done that a couple of times it's no fun.

Looking forward to getting together again soon.

Paul
Paul McN.
18 KTM 250 EXC-F
16 Honda Africa Twin
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

JGalt / Dave -

We all dive into this game and get humbled.... FAST. It's the name of the game. Just glad you were not seriously hurt on that big beast, or it getting badly broken!

Reliving those less flattering moments will be what drives you past them to the next level. To this day I am still befuddled as to why my 18yr old dirt bike memory isn't matching by 56yr old dirt bike performance. LOL!!

To put things in better perspective for you, here is the blooper reel from my first DAMN Riders outing at Granvilles. 😀

Now to resume editing footage from Emmitsburg....
2016 PitsterPro LXR-250f (Chinesium-KTM)
2001 Honda XR 200
History.... 1997 KDX 220, 1977 Ossa Phantom GPIII
JGalt
DAMN n00b

Post by JGalt »

BamBam wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:36 pm JGalt / Dave -

We all dive into this game and get humbled.... FAST. It's the name of the game. Just glad you were not seriously hurt on that big beast, or it getting badly broken!

Reliving those less flattering moments will be what drives you past them to the next level. To this day I am still befuddled as to why my 18yr old dirt bike memory isn't matching by 56yr old dirt bike performance. LOL!!

To put things in better perspective for you, here is the blooper reel from my first DAMN Riders outing at Granvilles. 😀

Now to resume editing footage from Emmitsburg....
Adam,

Thank you. Humility is undeniably lurking around the corner of every new undertaking...especially when dirt-bikes are involved, and to that I can attest. ;-) I too remember riding as a kid and those memories, elusive as they are, have me riding in ways that seem out of reach now. Nonetheless, we persevere the name of fun, and perhaps nostalgia.

At the risk of sounding too pensive, it's been said that to engage in certain activities/hobbies/interests, motorcycles in this case, one needs three things: time, money and health. When you're young you very likely have the health and even the time, but generally lack the money. Mid-life, for me anyway, I had the heath and some of the money, but none of the time. After all, career building and dadding, done correctly, take an enormous amount of time. Now, however, at nearly 58, I have the time, the money and the health--busted ribs and ice packs notwithstanding.

So, to my mind, for the relatively brief window of time during which I'm able to enjoy all three of these commodities, it would be nice to pursue laudable--subjective--experiences. "Adventure" ridding is just such an experience to me, though it remains to be seen what that looks like exactly.

Thanks for your kindness...and for the perspective--ouch!

Onward,
Dave
Last edited by JGalt on Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

@ jgalt- Get a trails bike to practice balance, clutch control, etc. You won't regret it :deal:

I honestly got better at riding when Boom Boom got me started with trails bikes.
I'm two years younger than you and I know getting hurt sucks.
Bruce