I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Chip shortages causing GM to drop fuel savings function

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Chip shortages causing GM to drop fuel savings function

Post by Firebolter »

You just love to argue engineer boy-I live it everyday. Put up all the charts and stats you want Steve, those system will live longer when you reduce the cycle time-bottom line Steve! :duel:
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

I sometimes do Billy. :duel:

If it's designed for something like 200kmi, do anyone really care if you extended it to 2Mmi? I've read papers on the starter motors where they are designed to live something like at least 10x longer (it has been ages since I was in that field.) That is discrete starter motor location types - again, the integrated flywheel alternator/starter units have no additional parts to wear out. Europe has used start/stop for ages. The wear out problem you bring up is mostly a non issue. If you don't like start stop simply because of the feel of the implementation in your particular vehicle that is a different thing. To 'save wear' is mostly a strawman argument. (FWIW, the 'feel' can be much better/smoother w/ integrated starter/alternators vs conventionally located types.)

Edit: Worrying about a starter on a modern diesel that has a DEF injection system is like worrying about a chipped finger nail when you're playing Russian Roulette ;)
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Wes read the above electric bike owner posts.....toss yours in the bay and go buy the first 32:1 2 stroke you can find. This is what electric bike ownership does to you.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I haven't driven a car/truck with this kind of setup but I actually like the idea. :fitz: I also own a 2 stroke that I run 32:1 in. :fitz:

I've got an around town car (2005 toyota matrix) that I just replaced the starter in a few weeks ago. It has a bazillion 1-2 mile trips on it (was my wife's car to commute 2 miles one way in, then kids car to go to school less than a mile from home, and now I use it to do short trips myself). This saves my truck from doing these sorts of drives. Once this thing gives up the ghost I may just replace it with a used electric car. :fitz: :thumbup:

I don't know that I believe electric vehicles are a solution to the issues with the atmosphere (I suspect they'll figure out some other nasty side effects from them down the road) but I do think one could make my truck last longer. :cheers:
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Boom Boom wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:54 am Wes read the above electric bike owner posts.....toss yours in the bay and go buy the first 32:1 2 stroke you can find. This is what electric bike ownership does to you.
Where's the DAMN like button! :lol2:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Boom Boom wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:54 am This is what electric bike ownership does to you.
LOL. My problem is I was working on EVs before I owned a car.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

smdub wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:02 pm
Boom Boom wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:54 am This is what electric bike ownership does to you.
LOL. My problem is I was working on EVs before I owned a car.
"Shocking"
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Boom Boom wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:54 am Wes read the above electric bike owner posts.....toss yours in the bay and go buy the first 32:1 2 stroke you can find. This is what electric bike ownership does to you.
You might be right Mike but pretty much every day for the last several weeks I get out for 20 - 30 minutes a day on the SurRon for some trials-like practice. I get to work on my balance, my log and obstacle hopping, gnarly off-camber tight turns, etc - all right across the street from my house. It's my fate to live far from a good trials practice area but for now, being literally at the bottom of my driveway is working for me :)
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain