I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Bad ass Caddy

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: Bad ass Caddy

Post by smdub »

Nice Miata Twist! I;ve run some NA ones at autocross and such back in the day. Won the class w/ a borrowed one first time I drove it. It handled like my Porsche but in slow motion :lol2: The new 19+ w/ 180hp seem like they'd be a lot better in that regard. I'm anti-convertibleso so am looking at the goofy RF hardtop (wish it was a real hardtop w/ liftgate hatch like a mini RX7) The RF Club version w/ track pack is only ~$5k cheaper than a Camargo SS 1LE w/ exactly 2.5x the hp makes it a hard sell though.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

smdub wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:19 am Mostly.
I think they call it a MCT (multi-clutch-transmission which doesn't make tons of sense as regular automatics have multiple clutches too.) So the specs says it shifts fast - yes, once it gets around to shifting. But it takes a long time between the lever pull and the actual shift.
It is nothing like you think. it is as quick as you can pull the paddles in manual mode. It does not lull at all. You should drive one. I like it, even in auto mode shifts are bang,bang,bang and before you know it, you are in 9th gear. For me, I was over heavy clutches manual shifting. My Focus RS was a fun little car, and my Cobra was fun, but again, heavy springs and having to shift and use/hold the clutch gets old in a daily driver, for me anyway.

I love the MCT, for me it is exactly what I wanted. You go into Sport+ and hit the paddles, it is in whatever gear you want when you select it. No lagging at all. You can be cruising in 3-4th gear, pin it and the tires will go up in smoke. The MCT's are good for up to about 650HP then you can start to challenge their ability to stay tight, if you were to say track day it and stay in it alot with 650+ hp or more, you could burn it up. There are a few companies that make beefier components for the MCT's for the die hard track guys.

Now compared to my RAM 8SPD (terrible comparison I admit), it would wonder some and was super lazy off idle, mostly due to the Turbo/tuner was tuned for torque and power, not acceleration. I had to get used in the MCT to that, as 1-2 is quick and can feel "jerky" when you take off if you don't learn how to feather in the pedal right. Going up/across the Continental Divide I used manual and the ECO pulled right up and over with no issues, but I was up in the rev's some. I was pulling a small trailer with 2 bikes and gear.

Any car where you want a little of it all(power/handling/drive ability etc.) will lack somewhere a little- the price you pay to "have it all".

There are other cars with way more power, but it is not always about the most power, sometimes a car just speaks to ya! This one spoke to me-
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Which model do you have? The bigger Mercs got different transmissions than the baby C series.

Edit: I was looking at the 2014 C63 back then. The last of the NA motors. Its basically described by the the reviews as a "full on DTM car w/ a horrible transmission". The new turbo model had come out but MB in annapolis still had a new silver C63 in the showroom I went to look at. BEAUTIFUL car, but I just could get over the fact it was still an automatic. They offered to pull it out for a test drive (helped that I rolled up in my 996TT no doubt) but I didn't have time. I am just a die-hard manual guy. I even looked into swapping the trans but in the end its too much hassle compared to doing it in the earlier cars (which people had worked out solutions for.) Haven't looked into them again. I may still just get a shop to stuff an M motor into a bmw E91 wagon.
Last edited by smdub on Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I started off looking a CPO's but quickly realized I had more options/choices (obviously) with a new one. I wanted a sedan. I looked at MB's, BMW's, Panamera's, Maserasti sedan (so pretty) and a few others. I kept coming back to the C. Everything but the C was north of 100K. I mean 45-60K for a used car with CPO status and 25K miles was okay, but most of them were BLACK, and I too hate back cars. 2019 they did the "FaceLift" to the C's and they went to the 9 SPD and chucked the 7 SPD as it was not as crisp and nice.

I got the "C", didn't want the Cs mostly because the extra 10-15K was for things like the track pack I didn't want or the darker colors. The "C" is de-tuned about 40Hp over the "S" but they both have the exact same engines, trannies (9SPD MCT), same limited slip diff, just different state of tune. Seats, interior, parking assist, adaptive headlighting and track pack are really the main differences of all the ones I found within 250 miles of here. 469/479 is plenty for me.

I had to find the car and get Annapolis MB to bring it in. Only ones in the area were Cs. Arlington had one as did Alexandria. I found this one in NJ. It had the options I wanted, "C" model, Night Package, 19 inch forged rims, Top tier Multi Media NAV system, Silver Metallic paint (any light color) and the Interior carbon package and carbon steering wheel. What sealed the deal was, I knew I wanted the car, always loved them, but the trade in for my truck was awesome and no charge to bring the car down to me, so I went for it. I am done with "real" manuals trannies.

Once the word got out about the 22's going to the Hybrid option, 2021 V8's are selling now quicker, so they are going fast. The 22 has a Turbo I4 with a EDU in the back with an additional 150 hp for ~540 normally and peak up to 650ish with the EDU added in. Tech straight out of their F1 cars. That video is kinda long, but at the end a AMG rep talks about the new Electric turbo's, pretty slick. I like the tech, but I wanted that visceral sound of a high reving boosted small block. The sound is intoxicating.

https://www.benzinsider.com/2021/02/202 ... -revealed/

You should find one of the older SL's with the big V. They came with a manual option and are screamers from what I have seen. that would be a fun track car.
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Oops, my edit overlapped your new post. Sounds like things got a lot better in the 19+. Will look into it again.
Will watch that video when I get time. Thanks.

You are old. I can see why you need a Recluse and auto trans :duel:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

smdub wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:54 am

You are old. I can see why you need a Recluse and auto trans :duel:
DAMN right I am! And still faster than you in the trees! :killingme: :killingme: :killingme: :cheers:

check this one out when you have time

Lots of cool bikes---