I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

new F9 video on Snell helmets

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: new F9 video on Snell helmets

Post by smdub »

https://kaliprotectives.com/products/sh ... 0318656536
DOT approved. I know there are a couple others too but hard to search for them on my phone.

What I really meant though was the line between moto and DH helmet is blurring. Some of the guys going big are wearing moto helmets (though for the last couple years I haven't kept up.). A Fox Rampage Comp (mtb helmet) is a fiberglass shell, mips, multi layer EPS, etc. 1275g. Same features AND weight as my Fly moto helmet.
Kali Shiva 1050g
TLD D4, carbon & all the same stuff. 1000g (one of the lightest ASTM-15 rated)
6D ATB1 all the same same features, 1350g (mtb)

The prices overlap now too. Pretty easy to spend $300-$600 on a DH mtb lid now. (only one of the above listed helmets is under $500)

Its hard to find *WHICH* ASTM F1952 standard they test too. The most recent is the -15 (2015 version). Many helmets are still tested to the less stringent -10 or earlier. Trying to get info out of some helmet manufs is a mess :(

I obsess a bit about weight. This goes doubly so for the kid. He has a huge noggin. At 9yo I took him to Hyser cycle for his first helmet. I figured MAYBE he was big enough to fit an adult small. The always helpful lady took one look at him and grabbed adult S & M. Yup. Hes rocking a Bell MX-9 MIPS in adult M. Turning 11 next mo. (Won't be long before he can share my L helmets.) Though he has a huge head he's still scrawny. I just weighed his Bell... 1550g. Thats a lot of mass dangling off his pencil thin neck in a wreck. I've decided when I buy another DH helmet, I'm going to get one for him too. He only goes but so fast on his X160 and I'm convinced a ~850g DH mtb helmet would be safer and still more than enough protection.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

To bring this back up. I ordered a new DH helmet but first, the contenders I found and some of their claimed specs and prices.

Benchmarks:
Bell MX-9 MIPS. (Size: M measured 1550g. This is the kid's helmet. Was ~$100 on sale?)
Fly Racing 2020 Formula (Carbon) (Size: L measured: 1360g. My new MX lid. $500 on sale.)

Not actually certified:
Bell Super DH Spherical ~$300 860g(M) (not actually ASTM certified)

older ASTM F1952-10 certified:
Leatt DH 1.0 (1592-10) 850g $100
Leatt MTB 4.0 v21 (1592-10) 860g $200

newest ASTM F1952-15 certified:
Specialized Dissident Comp (not many vents) $150
Fox Rampage (not Pro or Comp) claimed 1050g? 170-190$
Fly Racing Rayce (claimed 969g M) $120
7IDP Project 23 GF. claimed 1010g $240

unknown ASTM version 1952-??:
Kali Shiva 2.0 Carbon. claimed 1050g. $550. Also DOT certified.
Kali Shiva 2.0 claimed 1190g. $350. Also DOT certified.

Since my other Fly helmets fit my skinny head well figured I'd try the new(?) Fly Racing Rayce. The Large measures 966g. Slightly less than advertised for M. The overall build seems nice and is very vented (the feature I'm most after.) The fit on my head is nice but two major problems (for my head shape):
1) The chin bar touches my chin. I think that would drive me nuts. But my head is skinny ('long oval' is what some of the industry calls it) so it may just be me.
2) Lifting by the chin bar, I can rotate the helmet almost completely off my head. My nose is out. I think this has to do w/ where the chin straps are mounted. Probably due tot he shape of my head its sort of trying to pull back on my neck and suffocate me. So It doesn't go under my jaw so to speak and I think that allows it to rotate back w/o much effort. I'll let the kid try it on for size but it likely goes back to Amazon...

Edit: Holy cow. Kid tried it on and fit. Chin bar looks a lot more comfortable distance on him. But w/ the strap tight he can also rotate it up past his nose :( It goes back! I got him to try on my 2020 Fly - geez it fits him. He might be in an adult L now. His head is huge...
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Finally got my hands on a 7IDF Project 23 (carbon) helmet. Project 23 = # of vents in the thing. It has huge and numerous vents compared to typ moto helmets. It is for enduro/downhill mtb riding and meets the newest ASTM F1952-15 downhill standard and the fiberglass & carbon version feature a MIPS-like technology. Not ECE/DOT/Snell motorcycle approved though. Size L measures 988g on my scale. Its crazy light and vented. FWIW, Has a magnetic fidlock buckle which I'm not sold on yet.

Anyway, I wore this at Phil's Emmitburg ride yesterday w/ a set of these safety glasses. I was on the SurRon. It was **HOT**. I didn't notice the helmet at all. It's usually the first thing I want to take off, but I almost forgot I was wearing it. A definite winner in my book. Does it appear as strong as my Fly Carbon moto helmet? No. But its 1/3 lighter (and the Fly is already very light) and a *TON* more vented. It will probably absorb energy better from a low speed off though. Will definitely be the go-to on slow speed technical rides & hot days.