I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

flat plane Z06

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
aai
DAMN Poohba

flat plane Z06

Post by aai »

incredible engineering for your dollar :cheers: I can almost hear the haters now, lol. When I had the M3 in the early 2000s it was one of 3 celebrated engines at the time making over 100bhp per liter naturally aspirated. The others were the Porsche GT3 and Honda S2000. This engine is hitting status of a 3 million dollar hypercar engines for sub $100k.
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: flat plane Z06

Post by Rut Row »

it's a good looking car!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Cool motor and all but none of this tech is new. Meh.

Look at the torque figure (esp compared to the bigger forced ind motor.) 460lbft isn't far from any recent 5L mustang :( An S2000 is a fun track car but I've driven them at autocross and the street. It feels *GUTLESS*. Very much like a 400cc sport bike, to do anything you need to downshift 2+ gears. I'll take my 1L Monster any day. It was very telling that later model S2000s traded some of the peak hp for more usable torque. I'm sure the Vette motor is an absolute hoot on the track but its just running a big cam. I'd personally never want it in a street driven car. Forced induction is so much more daily fun/useable.

I'm not a huge fan of Chevy's superchargers either. Its not a great motor to compare it against anyway. Look at a Porsche Turbo: 3.75L 640hp 590lbft 170hp/L.

I'm rambling here but I love the look of the C7 & new C8. I've been thinking about one. Had a long conversation to one of their chief track instructors and he cautioned me not to get a C8 yet. The transmissions will have a recall and he mentioned a few other serious problems. After the S550 mustang left me somewhat disappointed, I've been eyeing up a Camaro 1LE (either NA SS1 or FI ZL1. Would prefer a turbo though.) Camaro at least has a real manual trans and a vestigial back seat for the kid. That or I go to the far other edge of the spectrum and get a newer Miata and turbo it.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

I agree Stephen not new tech, but you gotta ask with all the money spent you would think someone could’ve of built this V8 with a warranty by now you would think. Either needs to be a hybrid or 12 cylinders or even boosted to see these numbers. Never been on a track but Angie and I do enjoy VIR weekend when IMSA comes thru. Never saw a Ferrari line up against a corvette class, guess they hate to lose lol… Porsche GT3 sure, if it isn’t the corvette isn’t taking it home it’s them. Those cars are capped at 500hp. My brother has the voodoo flat plane engine in his GT 350, you talking about no torque there she is lol.. but she loves the revs. Just unloaded my SS 1LE last year, Angie and I enjoyed it but always had an eye for a GS vette.. Stage 3 heads/cam/headersE85 tune put out 630hp out of that LT1 (no boost) that’s cheating lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

You should try track days. I ran w/ NASA. Its a blast. Tough to beat a vette out there though. They are NUTTER fast for the money. The C8 is a world class sports car. Faster and less money than the europeans. I'm a diehard Porsche guy but they aren't the fastest cars for the money by a long shot. The Vette dominates stuff like the C&D Lightning Lap. I think the ZR1 holds the production lap record @ VIR too. Not many people can drive cars that fast though - really do need to be a trained race car driver. When the C5 came out, it was crazy fast on track but one was wadded up every event we went to.

Again, other than for 'Ring bragging rights its sort of a silly motor for production. Thats why no one has put a motor like that in a production car. High strung / high revving engines just aren't fun off the racetrack. I would have been more impressed if they used something like BMWs variable valve (no throttle body), Kia's CVVD (duration), etc. technology and made big hp AND torque. There is no technology in that motor that isn't 30+yrs old.

DAMN, you even had a white 1LE! Thats my favorite color. I'm going to have to talk to you sometime about it if I go down this route.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

AThat was the plan Stephen, wanted to do auto cross then hit WV track days at shenandoah, just didn’t or ever pan out. Another hobby comes along :lol2:
yeah but we are a big fan of racing, and really enjoyed watching the yellow corvette clean up the last few years or so in the IMSA circuit GTLM class. A beautiful thing when sitting in your campsite watching these cars go down the carousel at VIR 30 feet from you. I almost bought the C5 Z06 instead of E46M3 back in early 2000s…that Z06 was like 3000lbs. You’re a racer, GM has been dialing this chassis down the last few years whether it be the Cadillac or corvette in the races. This C8 Z06 for example is RWD, naturally aspirated and will lay down 2.6 seconds to 60mph. AWD, Hybrid, boost, need not apply..if its balanced it will hook up., how much torque is really needed. Porsche will always be king of the ring..24hr endurance races also, indestructible.
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F