I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Bought another bike....

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Bought another bike....

Post by Laoch »

...and I'm not sure what to do with it. :lol2:

It seemed like a good deal and I had a couple of ideas for it. After a better going over of the bike there are good and not so good things.

It's a 2014 250 xcf-w. Boom Boom had if at one time. 143 hours and a good maintenance log.
Some things I noticed: oil was a bit milky even though it was supposedly changed in July :dry: Counter sprocket is already hooked? Caked on dirt around top of cylinder, possible oil seeping- not a big deal.
Fork leaking from compression adjust screw. They will get redone anyway.

The springs have been replaced for us husky chaps- good stuff
I think I'm going to go through the whole thing. Possibly even put on a big bore kit. Lower it a bit :deal:
It does have a rekluse.
Maybe flog it as is for a while? Or throw a tarp over it until spring?
Or flip it?

And it has a PA street title. :thumbup:
Bruce
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: Bought another bike....

Post by smdub »

I'm guessing a 250? Flog it as is for a while.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

smdub wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:43 pm I'm guessing a 250? Flog it as is for a while.
Yeah, 250.
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Laoch wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:45 pm ...and I'm not sure what to do with it. :lol2:

It seemed like a good deal and I had a couple of ideas for it. After a better going over of the bike there are good and not so good things.

It's a 2014 250 xcf-w. Boom Boom had if at one time. 143 hours and a good maintenance log.
Some things I noticed: oil was a bit milky even though it was supposedly changed in July :dry: Counter sprocket is already hooked? Caked on dirt around top of cylinder, possible oil seeping- not a big deal.

I think I'm going to go through the whole thing. Possibly even put on a big bore kit. Lower it a bit :deal:
It does have a rekluse.
Or flip it?

How does it compare to your Husky 250?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Bucho wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:49 pm
Laoch wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:45 pm ...and I'm not sure what to do with it. :lol2:

It does have a rekluse.
Or flip it?

How does it compare to your Husky 250?
Haven't done a side by side comparison. They are similar but different.
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Laoch wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:43 pm

I know a place where you can test them out
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Bucho wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:45 am
Laoch wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:43 pm

I know a place where you can test them out
: :roost: :whoop: :roost: :whoop: :roost: :whoop: :roost: :whoop:a
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

The seller you purchased from picked up the bike for his son...so I would expect more ride than wrench was the norm. That said the little I had ridden it I was impressed with the power vs other 250 KTM I had ridden. Friend of mine purchased new and took to Colorado and had no issues, instant starts while others had issues as were to lean....willing to assume he would have had the map adjusted. He never overheated on long slow climbs while other stock pumpkins steamed the woods out. Fresh oil, watch antifreeze for drop and oil change color....pump seal possible just from age. The power it produced I just do not see you needing anymore for off road riding around here but if gear up and dual sport you may want more power to hold road speed. He should have gave you everything to convert back to clutch but that rekluse was set well from who I purchased. Only reason I sold was I had hopes my vision was ready for me to rip the woods but I was pushing my luck so parked it and sold. Have a blue bike in the shop now but have yet to get it dirty. Soon time for some studs and have a go at the farm after buck season. Congrats on the purchase, I am not a KTM fan but I should have just kept it. W gear box, PDS linkage, and single sump engine....best of what KTM has to offer for tight woods riding.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Rear wheel bearings are toast, frozen, hub is wasted, corroded beyond use. Looks like I'll be getting a replacement wheel. The front isn't as bad. Bearings need replaced. Swing arm is decent. Pulled forks for service. Checking steering stem next.
Maybe not so much of a good deal. :shrug:
The seller splurged for all new plastics. :lol2:
Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I think this bike is a keeper. I've had it out a couple of times and it rips pretty good. Everything seems to work well. Oil changed again and it's good. Coolant good. Head bearings serviced. It has the typical valve cover gasket leak. I'll fix that when I check the valves. I'm heading to Taneytown tomorrow to drop off the suspension. I'm going to have it lowered 20mm and tuned for my chubby ass. :thumbup:
I'm not sure I'll keep the twins wall bars, Renthal I think? The Rekluse is setup fine and works quite well.
Bruce