I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Stark VARG

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: Stark VARG

Post by smdub »

Unless you put supermoto wheels on it and ride on the street or are an expert rider on a soft MX track or deep sand, 80hp is unuseable off road IMO. But I understand and support the 'becasue you can' comment too. DaveJ doesn't use his Alta MX in map4 on single track. Thats 35kW. The Stark is 45kW(60hp) or 60kW(80hp). Even the standard model Stark is going to be absolutely mental off road.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

smdub wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:23 pm Unless you put supermoto wheels on it and ride on the street or are an expert rider on a soft MX track or deep sand, 80hp is unuseable off road IMO. But I understand and support the 'becasue you can' comment too. DaveJ doesn't use his Alta MX in map4 on single track. Thats 35kW. The Stark is 45kW(60hp) or 60kW(80hp). Even the standard model Stark is going to be absolutely mental off road.
Yes i trail ride in map 1 but let's be honest with ourselves, I'm a pussy! :whoop:

My singletrack energy consumption on the Alta is pretty low. Take for example Eagle Bay. I think i ate 180 Wh per mile. A lap is about 14 miles and at my pace, its about 75 minutes. (average speed 11mph) A 5.8 kWh Alta battery is good for about 2 laps there, or 2 1/2 hours riding time.

Twisting through the trees at 11 mph, I average laying down an incredibly impressive and scary 3 horsepower! Stand back, people. :duel:

FB, SMDUB and Phoo all know my riding style and pace so y'all can extrapolate to what you might get out your Stark bikes.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

smdub wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:23 pm Unless you put supermoto wheels on it and ride on the street or are an expert rider on a soft MX track or deep sand, 80hp is unuseable off road IMO. But I understand and support the 'becasue you can' comment too. DaveJ doesn't use his Alta MX in map4 on single track. Thats 35kW. The Stark is 45kW(60hp) or 60kW(80hp). Even the standard model Stark is going to be absolutely mental off road.
Well, I did ride my 950 Super Enduro some off road and it was ~100hp. It's useable but like you said, if you are not a pro, you definitely do not use all the power it has on tap, but at times, it is nice to have that burst of power. I think it will be fun to experiment with different power settings and then with some straight line full power runs just to see how fast it will go. In the trees, yeah half of what it should make will be all the fun you'll need for the most part.
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I just checked out the webpage and now they are advertising 03-26-2023 for estimated delivery. They must have taken a bunch of deposits-
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Owner Anton Wass said they sold 800 bikes the first day and now up to 5000 after 6wks.
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cD ... dhc3MubXAz

Wow, thats as many sold in one day as all the Altas that were delivered. Props have to be given to Alta for making this possible. IMO, The explosive sales would not have happened w/o Alta educating people on the possible performance.

TL/DR:
50/50 on those who choose hand brake vs foot brake
red about 40%, grey 30%, white least popular
80% picked the 80hp option
completely waterproof - can ride underwater "maybe not too deep" :)
600 dealer requests. Signed 20+ already.
He is surprised the pace of the sales. Appears to be best selling motocross bike in the world (5k in 6wks)
Inverter was most sophisticated part they had to develop. The battery was the hardest to do.
They are pursuing racing against gas bikes. (can software limit hp to be competitive.) Still seeing some of the opposition that Alta ran into. Said customers will eventually determine how that goes.
He's completely divested from 24MX (prior company)
Media rides in Barcelona maybe end of Apr.
He thinks they are going to hit the expected Sept delivery dates for first orders
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

would be nice if he had an enduro configuration. Everything I read says MX which is a lot stiffer
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

The order form says to go down one weight range from actual if you're going to do enduro. Basically, soften up the suspension. I think it's amazing that they even have the option to specify different suspension configurations from the factory, instead of the usual act of providing one set of suspension that you have to tune or replace.

I got the foot brake; I wanted it "like normal" and I definitely didn't want to get in the habit of grabbing a left hand foot brake and then go to my normal bike.

I got grey. Too many red bikes, and the bike I already have is white with red.

I guess I'm in the minority; I got the 60HP version. From what I've read, both versions have the same hardware so 60HP/80HP is nothing but a software setting. 300cc two strokes make 40HP and that's more than enough for me so I'll save the $1k. I do realize this will affect resale value, but the 80HP resale value will not be $1k more than the 60HP resale value. Especially when I'm done with a bike. ;)

My delivery date is September. If they still think they may make that date seven months away, that's pretty awesome. I still won't hold my breath, but Elon delayed the Model 3 by months or more way before this point. I do wish they would provide teaser videos that were more than 45 seconds of going around a motocross track, though. For all I know, the videos are all from the same bike and filmed within a few days of each other.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Rut Row wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:39 pm would be nice if he had an enduro configuration. Everything I read says MX which is a lot stiffer
Yup, MX is the first offering, but I think that is fine. Some of the best off road bikes I have had in the past were MX bikes at heart(YZ250). The company said they were starting with MX bikes and then will make more models in the future. It really is about Software in Ebikes. You could take this bike (any ebike really with a ECU you can get into) and tailor the power curve to a more "trail" friendly power band. Like any bike though, I still find, my right hand is the most influential variable in riding a ebike. Once youy get the feel for how the power is "available", you adapt-
Lots of cool bikes---
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

What's nice is that the power curve is completely user programmable. And you can hotswap four (?) maps from buttons on the handlebars so you can have a power characteristic for wide trails, hillclimbs, tight single track, and rock gardens, for example, and swap them out as needed.

I plan to (try to) take mine to the Hangover Hare Scramble next year, assuming it is delivered in time. The race at my level is usually 1.5h-2h, and is done at a fairly "moderate" pace as long as you don't get stuck, so we'll see how the battery lasts. I figure if it's supposed to be able to do a 40 minute flat-out motocross race, it should be able to handle what I can do to it in under two hours. I guess we'll find out!

I'm listening to the podcast now. Pretty interesting!

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I personally want the Xtrainer/FreeRide version, smaller frame, different suspension blah blah…

But I also totally get them going after MX. That is a HUGE market and if they can prove how good electric is to those guys, that is a way to prove to basically the whole offroad market that electric is serious.

Im excited to see some of the DAMN guys getting a few of these. I cant wait to see in person. Im already pretty impressed with Alta and a modded Surron. The Varg should be fracking amazing.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200