I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Stark VARG

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Stark Varg

Post by Bucho »

Firebolter wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:43 am
3. Virtual Flywheel. This really interest me as that just might be the start to simple and better power modulation. That is the one weakness now (I think anyway) the inability to modulate the power to the rear wheel. You have to attack more and finesse less to make harder obstacles and slippery areas etc. Ebikes apply torque on demand so you can loose the rear traction easily if you want.
Yes, this is VERY interesting.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

Bucho wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:04 pm
Firebolter wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:43 am
3. Virtual Flywheel. This really interest me as that just might be the start to simple and better power modulation. That is the one weakness now (I think anyway) the inability to modulate the power to the rear wheel. You have to attack more and finesse less to make harder obstacles and slippery areas etc. Ebikes apply torque on demand so you can loose the rear traction easily if you want.
Yes, this is VERY interesting.
This is a good looking bike and I have many ideas about it, both good and bad. Addressing the issue of Electric Overspin is probably the most important thing to us singletrack hounds. An electric bike rides like an autoclutch bike until you get to the point where you have to take your feet off the pegs. Then you are screwed. The ability to fine tune this thing is a crucial feature.

"Hey man, can I borrow your file for the rock garden at the cove"?
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

davej wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:15 am
This is a good looking bike and I have many ideas about it, both good and bad. Addressing the issue of Electric Overspin is probably the most important thing to us singletrack hounds. An electric bike rides like an autoclutch bike until you get to the point where you have to take your feet off the pegs. Then you are screwed. The ability to fine tune this thing is a crucial feature.

"Hey man, can I borrow your file for the rock garden at the cove"?
Exactly! That's what I was thinking! "Hey Dave, you crawled right up that muddy line", "Yeah, I got a new VERT-FLY setting, it's badass!", Bill "can I get a copy from ya? when we get back to camp" Dave "what ya got to trade?" :hi5:
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Stark VARG

Post by Firebolter »

Love the ethrottle "blip" right at the end of the video before he lands the last jump to raise the front tire a tad-

Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

davej wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:15 am Addressing the issue of Electric Overspin is probably the most important thing to us singletrack hounds. An electric bike rides like an autoclutch bike until you get to the point where you have to take your feet off the pegs. Then you are screwed.
Have you limited your accel rate on your Nuc24F? It can be very effective traction control. I think the TC on the GET ecu I have on the KTM500 works the same. Though if you could add inertial data (actual bike forward velocity) to that and not just wheel speed it would be even more effective.

I'd love to play with the VARG app before the bike releases. Also, delivery dates for new orders have pushed out to Oct now. Not sure how many they've sold but the needle is moving...
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I wouldn’t get to hyped on delivery dates. With the way things are now and depending on how many orders they rcv, could be months after the initial release date before they are actually in the hands of consumers in the US.
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Totally understood! It will be a minor miracle if they deliver what is promised on time and on budget. Its just interesting to note that they must be getting some preorders as the delivery estimates are slowly sliding out.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

smdub wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:39 am Totally understood! It will be a minor miracle if they deliver what is promised on time and on budget. Its just interesting to note that they must be getting some preorders as the delivery estimates are slowly sliding out.
Yeah. I truly do believe they will "deliver" on the first run and at the cost promised when you depo, albeit, would not surprise me if come shipping time, the shipping cost has gone up and you "may" have to add a few dollars to the overall cost? Anyway, I agree, they will sell out whatever their first "batch" estimates are. Most of these types of bikes do when they are released worldwide like this. Now when new models come out and "run 2" may start, depending on parts and resource prices, the cost WILL GO UP. I have seen it happen on almost all of the popular E-bike things out there. It happened to my SUrRon right after I bought it and it happened to my E-MTB bike after that run was completed. That's why to me, for a 100 bucks, it is worth it to sign up now if you are interested as they will only cost more-And just so you know, me and Phoo and a couple others were kicking this around the day before you posted and,
both Phoo and I have a depo down on a Grey one :hi5:
He doesn't know I reserved one nor that we both picked Grey! :killingme:

I want this for rides at places like Phil's, BoomBoom's and other shorter more fun rides. And then of course to drop into some SERIOUSLY awesome valleys that only are walked by deer right now and I can ride this loop from my house. Issue is, need a little more power and suspension to go to some of these places than the SurRon has. Why spend a couple grand (easily) on new controller and battery for the Surron when I can have a bike with real suspension, ergo's and tire choices/benefits you can't get with a Surron like option. Atleast not without a serious weight and cost for controller, larger capacity battery, rims and tires, suspension upgrades etc. No brainer for me-

Don't get me wrong, the Sur Ron is awesome and I am keeping it. My GF loves riding it. Now I can take her to Grandville's and she can have a blast riding with me. This will be sweet. I ain't getting rid of my ice bikes, but having another option and availability to ride killer places otherwise you never could? Yeah I am in! Especially when they are right out my door-
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Nice to know there will be a DAMN fleet of them! :) Did you guys get the power upgrade?

I wonder if they'll have spare plastics avail at time of order. I'd like to see it in the other colors. It looks great in all of them - the swoopy bodywork really is good looking in the pics.

Agreed the costs will go up.

I think this might replace the 150 for me. I've been looking at trading the 150 up to a TPI model, but the announcement of the Stark will likely postpone that indefinitely. The Stark won't go the distance like the 500 will but I can see riding it at Kairos / Cove / FRO / etc. The little KTM E can probably do those now, but the Freeride ergos are still a bit small for my lanky frame. Riding a full loop at Eagle Bay fast a month ago really took a toll on my quads. Was sore for a couple days. The Stark at the same weight as the KTM E while being 'full-sized' sealed the deal. I've been pursuing buying a used Alta but the Stark also stopped that.

Agreed, the SurRon is what it is. Loads of fun in a small/lightweight package. I'm still glad I have the pair of them and modded. I will still upgrade kiddos controller to a Nucular when my number finally comes up (its been forever, I should email to ask where I am in the queue.) Its just not 'big enough' for me to replace a real bike. If it was just a 20% larger frame it would be perfect for the ultra-light play bike.
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Raw footage (@3:50 you can see their Alta)