I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Sag

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Sag

Post by Laoch »

Ok smart guys. Sag.

I thought I had a decent understanding. But I have not had to redo everything before.

I replaced the shock spring for a heavier one (for my heavier butt).

Recommended rider sag by suspension guy is 3.7 " or 96mm. Factory is like 4+" or 100-105mm. I usually shoot for 4".

Static is 1.3-38" I'm currently at 1.25" Close enough.

My rider sag is at around 5".

Question- should I ignore the static sag?
If I adjust rider sag to 4", won't that throw off my static sag?

My head hurts.
Bruce
beejaytee
aka Heather

Re: Sag

Post by beejaytee »

From what I’ve been told static sag should be around 25mm/1 inch and rider sag around 100mm/4 inches. Different bikes and suspension experts will play with this numbers a bit but they usually stay within 5-10mm on rider sag.

Make sure you’re in full gear sitting on the bike with your feet off the ground, preferably with someone holding you upright and another person measuring. That’s just to get the most accurate measurements.

Personally I set it at 100mm and forget it unless I really feel the bike steering too slow or too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

That's what I was shooting for.
I think I wasn't making big enough adjustments, then too big? There new spring makes a difference. It's also a 360 vs 250 and I guess things didn't look right :lol2:

Does free sag ever change?
Bruce
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Depending on how heavy a spring you are using can throw off static sag.

My CRF150 with a fat boy spring had almost zero static sag. Set the rider sag and go.

Also how much suspension travel are you working with? Shorter travel should be less rider sag
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

gots_a_sol wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:30 pm Depending on how heavy a spring you are using can throw off static sag.

My CRF150 with a fat boy spring had almost zero static sag. Set the rider sag and go.

Also how much suspension travel are you working with? Shorter travel should be less rider sag
Spot on Joe. :thumbup:
Yeah, it's a "hefty fella" spring and I had the bike lowered 30mm (shock/forks internal), so yeah sag would be a bit off.

I set the rider sag and I'll have to do some testing.

Thanks.
Bruce
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

It makes sense to me that if you're going with a spring (and proper sag) to accommodate more rider weight, then an unloaded bike just won't overcome the heavier resistance to sag under its own weight and would be less. But, I'm always willing to learn more about suspension set up if I've got that wrong?
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Can of worms opened.....this should keep us busy till flowers bloom again....can we add a what is the best oil also?
Me being from a no seat background I set more for standing position. I get the front to speed and travel range I like then adjust the rear up or down till I get an even travel of front and back when compressing. Stand bike close to a wall so easy to balance and be in ride position touching bars and apply weight up and down to pegs looking for even travel. No fork chopper or ass droop is my goal. If setting sag sitting you need to be seated where your race - attack position will be. Standing you are on pegs...perfect position every time. So many bikes are set for the biggest hits and just miserable for most everything else. If your forks slid in the clamps? So many factors and if bike was lowered just toss a dart on the wall for what is said to be correct. Good luck on your search for the perfect settings....only you know what works for you. Riding Jersey whoops or PA rock gardens?
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Laoch wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:59 pm I'll have to do some testing.

Thanks.

I was going to ride on Friday or Saturday…

I volunteer to help test
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Bucho wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:28 am
Laoch wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:59 pm I'll have to do some testing.

Thanks.

I was going to ride on Friday or Saturday…

I volunteer to help test
:thumbup:

So, I should wait before getting valves checked and valve cover gasket oil leak addressed?
Bruce