I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Talk me out of

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Talk me out of

Post by Laoch »

a Tiger 800/850 XCA.
I like my GS but the front forks really kind of suck. And it's not great on gravel. Great road bike, but.....

2019 800 XCA

I was also considering finding a DR650 to build.
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Talk me out of

Post by Boom Boom »

Dr 650 for the win...simple and crude with thousands of farkles available.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I really like the Tigers. Go with sexy vs ancient but reliable
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Those 800's are fantastic machines. Roughly 100 HP, excellent road manners, but can get down with it off road. They're also not too tall. I was seriously considering one before I bought the 1090.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Suspension is what made it easy for me to let my 800ADV go. It was a heavy bike and sprung like a mini bike. It needed alot more than just springs to make it right. I did like the motor though albeit a buzzy beast! My Tenere is lite years better stock than my 800 was, although I did have the springs done on the 700. I bet the Triumph is a hoot.

If you are only riding some and truly using back roads and such, the DR will be a great do it all bike with endless farkling capabilities-But if you want to rip back roads, do some medium to lite DS'ing in the woods AND be able to hit the freeway in comfort and do a weekend trip, that Triumph would be a sweet ride-
Lots of cool bikes---
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

I have yet to own a Triumph Bruce, so Ill probably be right there with you sooner or later. I enjoyed catching Ricky Carmichael transitioning to adv riding, and from what I remember he's maybe 5'6" on a good day. Theres some talk of Triumph making dirt bikes so I might wait for that. Was gonna do a Bonnie but already building up a BMW and Ducati scrambler type bikes I lost interest. I vote 900 Rally Pro with your name on it! :duel:
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I've got a buddy trying to sell a Tiger 800 with the cast wheels up in PA. I'm pretty sure it's an OBO situation and priced accordingly.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/2012 ... n.1554713/
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I think if I was looking for a powerful bike capable of the kind of road trips I take but more dirt worthy than my GS I'd probably look very seriously at an Africa Twin. I've been on multiple 3,000+ mile road trips over the past couple of years with a friend that has an early model of the AT and he loves it.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

That Tiger close to me is nice, but I think mot much different from my GS, road oriented.
Bikes are still hard to find and guys really like them. I saw a '12 DR for $6k lol. New ones are that much.
T7 is unobtanium. As are most similar bikes. I got time.
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Twist wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:11 pm I think if I was looking for a powerful bike capable of the kind of road trips I take but more dirt worthy than my GS I'd probably look very seriously at an Africa Twin. I've been on multiple 3,000+ mile road trips over the past couple of years with a friend that has an early model of the AT and he loves it.
I only took a short ride on Wingfixer's AfricaTwin but I did think it was pretty decent (and I have an irrational distain for Honda). It went up and down some steps at my house.

The Yamaha T7 or Aprillia 660 look to be the good ADV bikes that can do some rough stuff while still be palatable on the highway. (though of course the highway ruins any decent tire for offroading... So I'm still good with hauling bikes in the van)
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200