I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Aprilia back in the ADV game

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Aprilia back in the ADV game

Post by Firebolter »

I have owned 2 Aprilia's, both ROTAX powered and they were awesome bikes. I am happy with the T7 but if I were looking for a new middle weight ADV bike, this might be worth a look.

https://www.aprilia.com/us_EN/models/tuareg-660/
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: Aprilia back in the ADV game

Post by smdub »

Your memory is failing Bill :killingme:
viewtopic.php?t=5525
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

smdub wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:53 am Your memory is failing Bill :killingme:
viewtopic.php?t=5525
Nope because now you can actually order 1! It is real now-
They have been talking about it for a while but now they have an order option on their page.
Lots of cool bikes---
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

trying to hold out for the T7 World Raid if it ever makes stateside, but this Aprilia is my alternative for next purchase. Touratech has come out with some bits and pieces, Hepco Becker is developing stuff also
https://www.motomachines.com/shop-by-bi ... g-660-2022
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Hmmm, it's over 400 lbs. Not as much as a T7 but a good 60+ lbs heavier than a KTM 690 Enduro R. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Twist wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:32 pm Hmmm, it's over 400 lbs. Not as much as a T7 but a good 60+ lbs heavier than a KTM 690 Enduro R. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.
Yamaha says T7 wet is ~205kg (451#). Several folks have weighed theirs and say this is reasonable.
T660 is claimed 185kg dry. +18L of fuel = 198kg. Add in the oils and coolant and its going to basically weigh what a T7 does.
690R/701 are 145kg dry. +14L of fuel = 155kg. They end up ballpark 160kg(355#) wet.
There is a full 100# weight difference between the big thumper and the twins. They are for different purposes and very different price points. As you said: depends on what you want to do with it.
FWIW, the 790R/890R dry are about 189kg. Same as the smaller twins. (at a hugely higher price point)

I really like the looks of the Tuareg 660. As I said in the original thread, really reminds me of the Elefant. I think the T7 is pretty sharp looking too. Would be a hard choice.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

smdub wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:58 pm
Twist wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:32 pm Hmmm, it's over 400 lbs. Not as much as a T7 but a good 60+ lbs heavier than a KTM 690 Enduro R. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.
Yamaha says T7 wet is ~205kg (451#). Several folks have weighed theirs and say this is reasonable.
T660 is claimed 185kg dry. +18L of fuel = 198kg. Add in the oils and coolant and its going to basically weigh what a T7 does.
690R/701 are 145kg dry. +14L of fuel = 155kg. They end up ballpark 160kg(355#) wet.
There is a full 100# weight difference between the big thumper and the twins. They are for different purposes and very different price points. As you said: depends on what you want to do with it.
FWIW, the 790R/890R dry are about 189kg. Same as the smaller twins. (at a hugely higher price point)

I really like the looks of the Tuareg 660. As I said in the original thread, really reminds me of the Elefant. I think the T7 is pretty sharp looking too. Would be a hard choice.
Based upon what I've heard from Bill about his T7, I think if I was looking for a bike for another TAT ride or even some of the more challenging BDRs, I'd given it some serious consideration. The thing is that the big epic ADV rides I see myself doing over the next several years are going to be best suited to my 1200GS. I'm thinking rides like a trip to Big Bend or up to Tuktoyaktuk. Getting up to Tuk and back is just a lot of paved miles.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

BTW, I rode a 690 from Durango up to Steamboat on the CDR and returned back to Durango on the Colorado BDR. I felt like that was a perfect bike for that ride. Plenty of power for the road sections and light enough to own it up in the San Juans even packed with all my camping gear. But it is a pricey option compared to a T7.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

T7 weight of 450ish is accurate. It is a tall bike and carries the weight up high. I agree a 690 like bike might be somewhat easier to ride in the nasty stuff but once you get to jeep roads or pavement, the 700 (twins) bikes are just so much more comfortable at speed. Once I put the autoclutch on mine, it made life so easy, especially in traffic. Suspension is nice, all I did was springs for my weight.

For BDR like DSing, 700's or larger are perfect. I hate riding the 500 on freeway pavement. It will run along at 70mph without screaming (stock gearing) but it is not the most comfortable ride after 30 mins or so. The last day of the KAT when we jumped on the freeway to get back to Matewan, I was glad to get off the freeway and back on smaller two lane stuff back to the hotel. I don't think I would enjoy a BDR like ride on the 500 as much as I would on the 700 or even the Duc. That darn Ducati desert sled does really well off road once I dropped the counter shaft down 1 tooth. It has old school ergonomics and feels at home in the dirt. That bike is probably my fav-it is so versatile.
Lots of cool bikes---
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Id like to also add as a consumer, one criteria I look at is are you willing to hop on the bike and open the garage and say go for a 200 mile ride. Or are you gonna have to go thru the motions and load the bike up, just like any other dirt bike. Riding out or loading out tends to be the heavy deciding factor for me. There are tons of YouTube videos out there that mentions adv/DS bike differences but not to many actually mentions the above. I tend to shop with those two things in mind when deciding and like most, need both types but shopping for one at a time.
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F