I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Be mindful when you are out DS'ing

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I got this from a friend who lives in Florida and knows I like to ride in the National Forest and such. This could happen anywhere in any forest, so just keep that in mind if this situation were to present itself when you are out in the woods riding. Not trying to be paranoid but times are different-

"The couple was driving on a National Forest Service road when Hider flagged them down and asked for help with her car, sheriff’s officials said. The woman then pulled out a gun and ordered them into the woods, they said."

whole article

https://www.wfla.com/news/crime/florida ... ma-forest/
Lots of cool bikes---
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Re: Be mindful when you are out DS'ing

Post by Twist »

That sort of puts in to perspective the trouble I had in the Talladega/Cheaha SP a few years ago. The article is from a Florida publication but this happened in a park near the NE border of Alabama and Georgia. We did an ADV ride for a week called the SouthEast Adv Trail (SEAT). After camping at the top of Cheaha Mountain (highest point in Alabama, which isn't saying much) we set up going north and about an hour in one of the two guys I was riding with had a flat - a big spike in his rear tire. Those two guys dropped down and replaced the tube in it and really weren't interested in any advice - but the were really struggling with it. If you're struggling with replacing a tube, you're doing it wrong I tried to tell them. They go to inflate it and of course it won't inflate, likely from one or more pinches. Having no patch kit, I set off looking for a garage with the entire rear wheel and two hours later, after getting two patches on their handiwork, arrive back at the sad duo sitting on the side of the road wondering what happened to me. Our SEAT adventure then quickly got back on the road.

To think that there would a shoot out experience waiting in those woods is pretty weird. Meeting a 5 year old kid with a loaded shotgun would be a very tough moral dilemma. Yikes.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I grew up in Columbus Georgia. We used to go ride all back in the woods in Ft Benning and even back then (early to mid 70's) you didn't stop in the woods if people flagged you down, people would jack you, now you'll get shot- It's a sad state of society when trying to help someone turns into a situation like this. And now that is why I will not stop and help someone like that-if you really have an issue, walk your ass out-

I remember an email that was sent around about a guy running around in the woods @FRO with a machete and was going to attack one guy until his buddy rode up and the guy darted off in the woods. Safety in numbers. Never thought I'd have to worry about this kinda crap when I am out riding my bike-
Lots of cool bikes---
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Well, I’d probably sleep better at nite knowing that someone in the group has a boom stick let’s say that. I suppose I really need to look into that myself, Maryland conceal carry permit. My brothers live in TX and Fl. Their spouses are packing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Ha! Good luck with that sonny. MD carry laws are stupid, non sensible and ridiculous. When I am in the woods, I always have a tool for every job I may need to perform. :cheers:
Lots of cool bikes---
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

And there was the time I ran into a naked woman on dirt round in South Georgia....

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/seat ... t-33191215

In hindsight, we should have just put the hammer down and got the hell out of there without the interesting dialog.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Firebolter wrote:Ha! Good luck with that sonny. MD carry laws are stupid, non sensible and ridiculous. When I am in the woods, I always have a tool for every job I may need to perform. :cheers:
Honestly I like shotguns myself, never had a desire to purchase a handgun. Everybody I know has them , from commemorative 911s to latest black guns.. just get invited to shoot there’s and I’m back to reading about O/Us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Firebolter wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:03 pm Ha! Good luck with that sonny. MD carry laws are stupid, non sensible and ridiculous. When I am in the woods, I always have a tool for every job I may need to perform. :cheers:
Not anymore, thanks to recent Supreme Court decision. But nobody honors MD permit because MD doesn't honor anyone else's.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

Maryland is currently issuing conceal carries with out the Justification, due to the recent supreme court ruling. just get a Utah permit to go along with the Maryland one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... xed-hogan/
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Beretta was always a household name to us locally in Accokeek since the late 70s. I grew up with people getting employed there, good source for a local job. Average tenure of employees working there was 15 years. They packed up a few years ago due to our politicians and headed down to TN. Corporate is still there but assembly was relocated.
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F