I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

The Pedestal

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

The Pedestal

Post by phoo »

This product is neat. Load two bikes in a short bed truck, and still be able to close the tailgate. At $650, they sure are proud of them, though.

https://zoomcleaner.ca/products/the-pedestal

Looks like a home made solution that wouldn't be permanently mounted could be made for much, much cheaper. This product would probably be ideal if needed often, but for occasional use, a 2x8 with wheel chocks lying across the bed rails would probably work well.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Re: The Pedestal

Post by phoo »

I actually found a picture of the same thing but with the rear wheels just sitting right on top of the closed tailgate. Even cheaper! :-D
1975 Harley FXE1200
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Cool idea, maybe not $650 cool though?

My old dodge had a 6.5' bed and the dirt bikes were just long enough to not be able to close it when loaded straight in. Came up with these little brackets to hold the tail gate at an angle. I saw a set for my F150 on Amazon the other day and they wanted $80 for them.

69be9636.jpg
69be9636.jpg (128.13 KiB) Viewed 5400 times
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Those could be made easily enough. A milk crate would probably accomplish the same thing, though.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I have a 5' 10" bed. A dirtbike in the back puts the rear wheel right in the middle of the tailgate so there is no "angled tailgate staying out of the way" for me. When I had a camper behind me and two bikes in the back of the truck, I took the tailgate off and put a board under the bike that was the exact length needed and that worked okay, but removing the tailgate with the backup camera is a real pita.

Next time I need to do it, I'll either just put the rear tire on the tailgate, or I'll figure out some sort of rear wheel support device to keep it from pushing on the tailgate like discussed above. But permanently bolting $680 devices to my truck bed isn't in the cards, especially since I have a flipping bed extender. Still, it's a neat product if it was going to get a lot of use!

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Seems like a full size van would be a much better solution
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Bucho wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:53 pm Seems like a full size van would be a much better solution
As you often do, you make a really good point there. Garage space at my house has become a real problem. It's a 3 car garage but it houses a workshop/bench, shelves on all the walls, two cars, and 4 motorcycles. I can live with it but I sure would love to have more space to move around in there without backing out the cars. I was just mentioning to my wife that "You know, if I had a van it would be a place to park a couple of motorcycles." Her response to that was "How does that help? You'll just buy two more motorcycles."

I guess after being married for 22 years she knows me.

My F-150 is a short bed which puts the rear tire of my larger bikes on the tail gate and I latch a bed extender around them to keep things like my ramps from getting out. That works unless I want to carry three bikes (sometimes the Sur Ron likes to come along). Luckily I have a friend with a 3-rail Kendon trailer that's come in very handy. If I ever lose that connection I'll probably just go buy one myself. It folds up and stands against the wall of the garage at his house. Some shelves would have to come down in my garage to have a place to store one.

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain