I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Fort Nine Chain Lube Testing

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Chain lube threads on the inter webs are about as useless as oil threads with all kinds of uninformed opinions. Fort Nine has a video he did on O and X ring chains explaining how the chain works and testing a range of products that seems to be a pretty thorough test.

Interesting findings especially in how some of the popular products attract and hold gritty stuff on your chain. I guess if you're like some of my friends and only ride on sunny days on clean roads maybe that's not much of a factor. However, for some of us who will ride as long as there is traction and in all kinds of nasty weather and spend a fair bit of time off the pavement some of these results are pretty interesting.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Fort Nine Chain Lube Testing

Post by Bucho »

Im a big fan of Fortnine.

Though I still use WD40…
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

I just keep a leaking countershaft seal. Self oils the chain as I go :lol2: :dry:
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

I've been using off road grease on mine. I don't even clean it anymore. I just add a pump or 2 before I ride. Everything else seems to turn into grinding paste, especially any kind of oil.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I've been using WD-40 for a long time. For how much a chain and gear set costs, the price of buying anything more expensive doesn't translate into longer chain life effectively enough to offset the additional cost of the fancy lubes. WD-40 keeps my chain clean, seems to keep them from rusting, and I always have some in a spritz bottle in the garage. It's not the best (as shown in the video) lube but it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects.

Interesting that gear oil seems to be the best lube for chains in the video. I may see about starting to use that at some point.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

WD40 isn't a lube, it does clean well though. Gear oil might be ok on the street but, in the dirt it turns to grinding paste.
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

One more for WD40, it’s not a lube compared to all the other ones in the video per say but it does lubricates. I use it after washing the bike to displace water and moisture on chain and wiring. I sometimes coat under the fenders on the dirt bikes before going out riding for ease of spraying mud off. Done routinely, you’d have a pretty clean rust free bike. The cost, what’s not to like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I do spray my entire dirt bike with WD-40 after washing it. It keeps the plastics looking pretty good and it helps dirt wash off next time. It smells good when the exhaust burns it off and I just wipe the rotors down with alcohol before I go ride.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R