I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Teslas kill motorcyclists?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Teslas kill motorcyclists?

Post by Twist »

Fortnine has turned his analytical mind to a couple of accidents where motorcyclists were killed by being hit from behind by Teslas:

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Teslas kill motorcyclists?

Post by Firebolter »

A very large part of what I do pertains to "fusion" of multiple data stream/types to form a single track or object out of multiple reports or detection's. This is an extremely tough problem to solve and to get it right. You have to identify and correct for bias' (mostly noise from external sources) and sensor accuracy and system latency. Not every camera or radar will function the same (even within the same lot of the same design and spec), so there are other variances to the input. How often are these systems calibrated? How are they calibrated?

Now add in all of the crap along a road, possible EMI from 360 degrees, non-standard things like broken down vehicles or other non standard structures along a road as well, there is so much room for error and mistakes. Personally, I am not cool with this, not because I am a motorcyclist, but because we are removing the responsibility of vehicle operation to a freaking machine that is only as good as the jackass that programmed it and/or how well it is maintained. AI has the potential to be good stuff and it will only become a larger part of out lives, but not really ready for prime time in this application IMO.

And the radar/braking assist stuff, I do not care for it AT ALL. It activates more during times when you would not expect it to than is useful IMO. I turned mine off in my AMG. I was backing up once at a park and a car was coming up 50 yards behind me in the lane adjacent to me and my car slammed on the brakes. Scared the crap out of me, I thought I had hit something. But it saw a car behind me and knew I was in reverse and decided I needed to be saved. Nope, I'll drive my own car thank you-
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I believe that once the car goes into self driving mode, that all liability should shift to the manufacturer.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Rut Row wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:19 pm I believe that once the car goes into self driving mode, that all liability should shift to the manufacturer.
I think the driver takes some of that responsibility, they ELECTED to go to auto mode. Both should be accountable. We can't keep pointing the finger at the makers of stuff, we use this crap, we should be responsible too.
Lots of cool bikes---
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I think it's true that there are no completely autonomous self driving vehicles that are approved. Everything now is only partial autonomy that requires the driver to stay fully focused on the ride.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Twist wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:03 pm I think it's true that there are no completely autonomous self driving vehicles that are approved. Everything now is only partial autonomy that requires the driver to stay fully focused on the ride.
Waymo is one.

I think both the driver who was 'driving' AND Tesla should be brought up on manslaughter. The driver was supposed to be paying attention. Tesla is overselling the feature. Both are guilty.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Interesting video. I saw it a few days ago. (Fortnine is pretty awesome)

The idea of a fully functional, completely self-driving AI vehicle is interesting. While one part of me absolutely hates the idea. I also deal w/ horrible drivers all the time. I would be happy for those people to use "perfect driving AI", and we would ALL be safer.

But we aren't there yet.

On the subject. I also hate the "blind spot/lane monitor" thing many new cars have. I wonder how many drivers don't even do a head check anymore, and completely depend on their car's ability to check for them. Probably WAY more people than I even want to think about.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

smdub wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:11 pm
Twist wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:03 pm I think it's true that there are no completely autonomous self driving vehicles that are approved. Everything now is only partial autonomy that requires the driver to stay fully focused on the ride.
Waymo is one.

I think both the driver who was 'driving' AND Tesla should be brought up on manslaughter. The driver was supposed to be paying attention. Tesla is overselling the feature. Both are guilty.
Yes
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

they should make all new manufactured vehicles with the lane change assist warning indicator lights on side mirrors mandatory. Biggest single improvement they could make without costing too much
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

smdub wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:11 pm I think both the driver who was 'driving' AND Tesla should be brought up on manslaughter. The driver was supposed to be paying attention. Tesla is overselling the feature. Both are guilty.
Yup, that's true, alot of people "think" they don't have to pay attention and the system is more capable than it is. I was talking to my buddy who lives in SOCAL and he said you would not believe how many times he sees Tesla's in the HOV lane and the driver is reading-that's effin scary.
Lots of cool bikes---