I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Teslas kill motorcyclists?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Teslas kill motorcyclists?

Post by Firebolter »

Bucho wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:14 pm
On the subject. I also hate the "blind spot/lane monitor" thing many new cars have. I wonder how many drivers don't even do a head check anymore, and completely depend on their car's ability to check for them. Probably WAY more people than I even want to think about.
Good point Phil, I turn off the audible alert that goes with this functionality. It will go off constantly when you are in normal traffic. Still to this day, I will look over my shoulder before I change lanes. Everyone has had an experience where a car was in your blind spot and you went to change lanes and then you either saw them or they blow their horn. Sensor have blind spots too. Ice and dirt can cause those various sensors to miss read. I had ice on my bumper one time and the parking sensor was going crazy. It wasn't till I got out of the truck and went up and looked and could see the thin coat of ice across my bumper that was making it go off randomly.

Automation and AI like anything, can be good but can also be not as great as one would hope. The "nefarious" uses of AI are what worry me- :whip:
Lots of cool bikes---
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Firebolter wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:05 am
Bucho wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:14 pm
On the subject. I also hate the "blind spot/lane monitor" thing many new cars have. I wonder how many drivers don't even do a head check anymore, and completely depend on their car's ability to check for them. Probably WAY more people than I even want to think about.
Good point Phil, I turn off the audible alert that goes with this functionality. It will go off constantly when you are in normal traffic. Still to this day, I will look over my shoulder before I change lanes. Everyone has had an experience where a car was in your blind spot and you went to change lanes and then you either saw them or they blow their horn. Sensor have blind spots too. Ice and dirt can cause those various sensors to miss read. I had ice on my bumper one time and the parking sensor was going crazy. It wasn't till I got out of the truck and went up and looked and could see the thin coat of ice across my bumper that was making it go off randomly.

Automation and AI like anything, can be good but can also be not as great as one would hope. The "nefarious" uses of AI are what worry me- :whip:
I've got that blind spot detection on a few of our cars but I almost never notice it. I have my side mirrors adjusted way out (you can't see the side of car in them) to cover the blind spot. If a car isn't in my rear view mirror then it's in my side mirror until I can see it out of my peripheral vision without turning my head very far at all. It seems like I'm always getting in someone else's car and notice that the side mirrors are adjusted to see behind the car instead of to the sides.

A feature I really like is the rear crossing alert when I'm backing out of a blind parking space in a garage or lot.

Back to the Fortnine article, I think the moral to that reporting is don't ride a cruiser at night on the interstate. Or maybe just don't ride a cruiser.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:14 pm The idea of a fully functional, completely self-driving AI vehicle is interesting. While one part of me absolutely hates the idea. I also deal w/ horrible drivers all the time. I would be happy for those people to use "perfect driving AI", and we would ALL be safer.
I dread the day we get there. Shortly thereafter our political overlords will make it mandatory and prohibit self driving.

I'll give up driving when they pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands :duel:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Not that it would save my life, but I do find some comfort when riding on two wheels passing by cars and their side mirrors lights up accordingly. I think head check went out the window once they mandated dual mirrors
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

aai wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:27 am they should make all new manufactured vehicles with the lane change assist warning indicator lights on side mirrors mandatory. Biggest single improvement they could make without costing too much
No!!!! If they work (watch carefully, not all of them do) they ONLY tell you if someone is already beside you. NEVER that someone is about to be beside you due to speed differences. People change lanes when the idiot light is out and pull right in front of someone going faster. Its dangerous as hell.

Those little lights are 100% unecessary on most vehicles if you have your mirrors adjusted corectly. So if you look over at the light, might as well just look at the mirror thats already there!
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

100% completely agree, there is no substitute. I live in the center, and side mirrors when Im driving for the last how many years. Adjusted so I don't even turn my head a 1/2". Heads up display mentality. Drove work vans since the 90s that didn't have back windows, all you had was side mirrors. I do get nervous when I do see someone turn their heads when they clearly have eye contact with me either on a side mirror or center mirror and still have to look back. Dead give away. First thing I learned riding two up with Angie, always make eye contact with cages, whether thru mirrors or riding beside them.

The indicator lights are in the mirror, so you will be looking regardless that's the whole point of putting it there :lol2: . No different then looking at red light, green light etc. You have to be a complete idiot if you see a red or amber light in the mirror and there's a car in the picture and not know the difference, speed and depth perception. Its not a substitute, its an assist. No different from mandatory dual mirrors, no different from a mandatory third brake light. My old boss told me long time ago that they give drivers licenses out in this country like candy. How terrible drivers are including bumper to bumper traffic, etc. Leaving to big of a gap, Following too slow, letting everyone in. Cant comprehend what a zipper is, basic common sense shit. He was European, German to be exact. He always said it costs time and money to get your license where he grew up.
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Rut Row wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:19 pm I believe that once the car goes into self driving mode, that all liability should shift to the manufacturer.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here Ken. If my aircraft crashes while on auto-pilot and I failed to interdict as Pilot In Command guess who the NTSB is going to blame. Full authority auto land systems have been in aircraft a lot longer than auto drive systems have been in cars but we pilots are still tasked with monitoring the systems at all times and are ultimately responsible for the outcome of the flight. Driving a car should be no different. The manufacturer holds some responsibility but the majority falls on the person in control of the vehicle.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Wingfixer wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:46 am
Rut Row wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:19 pm I believe that once the car goes into self driving mode, that all liability should shift to the manufacturer.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here Ken. If my aircraft crashes while on auto-pilot and I failed to interdict as Pilot In Command guess who the NTSB is going to blame. Full authority auto land systems have been in aircraft a lot longer than auto drive systems have been in cars but we pilots are still tasked with monitoring the systems at all times and are ultimately responsible for the outcome of the flight. Driving a car should be no different. The manufacturer holds some responsibility but the majority falls on the person in control of the vehicle.
I agree as long as we have the ability to switch off the auto-pilot. I fear that one day we won't have that ability.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Rut Row wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:19 am
Wingfixer wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:46 am
I agree as long as we have the ability to switch off the auto-pilot. I fear that one day we won't have that ability.
My fear as well. I don't think I'll see it in my profession in the time I have left but in autos...
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.