I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Lithium batteries

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Lithium batteries

Post by gots_a_sol »

What's good these days? The 5 year old Shorai LFX14 in my Beta crapped out yesterday while doing trail work (glad to have that kicker still).

I've had good luck with Antigravity jump packs, their 8 cell non restart battery is about $160 though. Tusk has a lithium battery now I see for under a hundo. Earth-x has a decent following but $$. Or just go with another Shorai...

The LFX14 battery I had has a CCA of 210 for reference (AG 8 cell is 240)
Last edited by gots_a_sol on Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
aai
DAMN Poohba

Re: Lithium batteries

Post by aai »

I would like to know also since battery technology is always evolving. You've named the top batteries Im looking at, kind of leaning toward the 8 cell antigravity myself. Looks like beta is pushing the parts unlimited branded battery, haven't heard anything else about them though.
https://shopbetamotorcycle.com/products ... on-battery
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Post by jgreene »

I’ve had good luck with the Firepower batteries. They are reasonably priced.
Member R&T Club, and GMER
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

I bought an earth x thinking more $ would be better battery. It died within a year under warranty but the customer service was fantastic and they sent me another one which has lasted over 3 years since then. Plus the company was in colorado.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I've never had any issues with my Antigravity batteries. I did find out last time I rode that I don't have the Re-Start version on my dirt bike. No biggie since it was a starter issue anyways. The 1090 has the Re-Start version, though.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

CCA is mostly a BS figure on lithium batteries. Does anyone REALLY short these packs for a minute like you do w/ lead acid? Color me skeptical. Even if they do, is it really a meaningful number? A lithium pack that is still delivering current a minute later has REALLY high internal cell impedance which isn't good anyway.

I dislike Shorai as they don't tell you the actual Ah of the pack. Only the lead acid 'equivalent'. Antigravity and others post what the real cell capacity is so you can do apples/apples comparison. Not sure Shorai correctly balance themselves either w/o their external charger either. Seems pretty stupid this day and age. I think technology has passed them by. I used to have one in my old 500.

I have a couple Antigravity RSs in bikes now. The KTM OEM skyrich are pretty crappy when tested. Never used a EarthX or other brand. "ive been tempted to make my own packs out of real A123 cells like I do for the RC planes. But I'd need a balancing circuit for a bike and have been too lazy to find one.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I resisted spending this kind of money on batteries for a long time given that I can get pretty powerful motorcycle batteries at my local Battery Warehouse for $60-70. I finally got an EarthX for my GS several years ago and it's been more energetic in turning the bike over and has lasted. I had the opportunity to test the BMS on it when I forked up installing an accessory that ran it down. I disconnected it and reconnected it (reseting the BMS) and the protection worked - bike started right up and has been fine ever since. I never put it on a charger and my GS goes several weeks sometimes between rides.

Since then I've put one in my WR250R. It's hard to justify the expense over a sealed lead acid/gel cell battery but for the BMS protection if you ever need it.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

juddspaintballs wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:06 pm I've never had any issues with my Antigravity batteries. I did find out last time I rode that I don't have the Re-Start version on my dirt bike. No biggie since it was a starter issue anyways. The 1090 has the Re-Start version, though.
That's what I have on the 500 and it is awesome. I was running a small voltage converter/regulator for my GPS and it draws a small amount of power and would drain the battery down. Finally figured it out (thanks SJ) but it was nice just hitting that button and getting enough juice to start. Smart feature-

I had bad luck with the KTM stock batteries when I replaced them. I like the Antigravity battery with the re-start feature. All batteries should have that now. Just remember, if it does drain down to the level of needing the re-start, you have to hit the re-start to be able to charge it. Don't freak out if you hook it up and it won't charge, hit the re-set button and it should start charging.
Lots of cool bikes---
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I have a EarthX in the DRz and a Tusk in the Beta, or maybe it's the other way around.... anywho, never had a problem with either. I still can't get over how freaking light they are compared to the lead acids I took out!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Wingfixer wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:33 pm I have a EarthX in the DRz and a Tusk in the Beta, or maybe it's the other way around.... anywho, never had a problem with either. I still can't get over how freaking light they are compared to the lead acids I took out!
The uber light weight is great for the smaller bikes.

I also like that the Li type lose very little charge while sitting. I keep my WR in a shed w/out any power for a trickle charger. The bike can sit for months and still fire up.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200