I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Lithium batteries

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
aai
DAMN Poohba

Re: Lithium batteries

Post by aai »

holy shit, look at that. Did you get it from Amazon?

Well its been a $500 education so far for me. Picked up a multimeter and stoked about learning how to use it. New regulator, still 12.9 volts at idle.
New oem stator still 12.9 volts at idle. Bought a $35 printed service manual from Ebay so I actually know what Im testing for :lol2:
85 watt rickystator inbound, oem is 70 watt. All in all its been fun, and worth it for the learning experience. Except for the part its only a 1hr old new bike :dirtdog:
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

aai wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:48 pm holy shit, look at that. Did you get it from Amazon?

Well its been a $500 education so far for me. Picked up a multimeter and stoked about learning how to use it. New regulator, still 12.9 volts at idle.
New oem stator still 12.9 volts at idle. Bought a $35 printed service manual from Ebay so I actually know what Im testing for :lol2:
85 watt rickystator inbound, oem is 70 watt. All in all its been fun, and worth it for the learning experience. Except for the part its only a 1hr old new bike :dirtdog:
Ebay seller, was $20 less as an open box item missing the screws.

Less than an hour and you're throwing parts at it? No warranty?
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
aai
DAMN Poohba

Lithium batteries

Post by aai »

Yeah, I just went thru that with my 890.. dealer had it for a total of 7 weeks and 3 trips, 150 mile round trip each time. I’m hoping I can figure this out shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Sonny you need to change colors on your bikes....that is some bad JuJu....
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

or maybe I just need to twist the throttle a little more huh :lol2:
no doubt, luck of the draw with the 2 latest ktm products I purchased. Absolutely no issues with the 501 or the 150 though. :duel:
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

when I was racing sidecars with AHRMA, I saw a lithium battery burning at almost every race.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Rut Row wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:30 am when I was racing sidecars with AHRMA, I saw a lithium battery burning at almost every race.
Is that how they discovered fire all those years ago? :cheers:

In all fairness some lithiums are a problem. Cheaply made ones and lithium ion are both questionable. Look at all the knockoff hoverboards that catch fire. Some guy in NY just had a big apartment fire and he 'repaired' e-scooters. LiFePO4 cells are far safer (than LiIon) and are whats in Antigravity and a lot of other reputable packs (but I'm not sure all.) I also think all Li batteries should have a proper BMS but that seems to be the exception and not the rule.

Old bikes are questionable too. An old or broken regulator that overcharges + lithium is not a good mix. At least one bike battery manufacturer warns of this and instructs you to replace the regulator on bikes made before a certain date. No one ever reads the manual through so sold owners could be just as at fault :lol2:
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Sonny,
Your 450 has only a single phase stator (vs 3-phase in an EXCF and all road bikes.) It might not be able to get the voltage high at idle. As long as the voltage comes up when you ride it, that may be as good as you can do.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
aai
DAMN Poohba

Lithium batteries

Post by aai »

The Ricky stator 85watt arrived so Ill see what
Edit: the 85watt Stator cured it.
So just a couple things I’ve learned
This is probably from a 2016-2022 KTM brands since the parts I was buying would fall into those years. The 4 stroke MX and XC bikes (without headlights has a 70 watt stator. To put that in perspective, my 150 xcw with oem headlight/taillight comes with a 168 watt stator.. So making a DS out of a MX/XC bike,
Not advisable Imagea higher output stator is necessary, almost elementary duh.
To answer my own question about if the bike is charging the battery back while riding, from the book for MX/XC bikes with a 70 watt stator..

KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Wow, I wonder if they're still having issues with counterfeit batteries. I'd bought an antigravity branded jumpstarter years ago and, turns out, it was not an antigravity product at all.

That thing looks nasty. On the plus side it happened before you put it in your bike.