I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Anybody have a lift?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Anybody have a lift?

Post by Firebolter »

I have a project coming up and I will need to put the vehicle on a lift to do the job. It is a catback system to replace a stock set of cans. Easy job but I need to get the car up on a lift so I can remove the old exhaust as they are routed up over the rear axle and they need to be able to drop down lower than the rear wheel to remove them over the axle, so using normal drive on stands just won't raise it up enough.

Anybody in NOVA or MD have a lift at their house? or do you know a place where you can bring your own tools and rent a lift at a shop or something? I searched but couldn't find any place.
Lots of cool bikes---
davej
DAMN Expert

Re: Anybody have a lift?

Post by davej »

i have a 2 post lift if you cant find anybody closer
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Thanks Dave, appreciate it. Did some more searching and Annapolis NAVAL Station has an auto hobby shop! Gonna call them later today. NAVY bases have always had these and I have used them over the years and totally forgot to think about that until last night-Getting old man! :thumbup: :cheers:
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Firebolter wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:46 am Thanks Dave, appreciate it. Did some more searching and Annapolis NAVAL Station has an auto hobby shop! Gonna call them later today. NAVY bases have always had these and I have used them over the years and totally forgot to think about that until last night-Getting old man! :thumbup: :cheers:
Yup. I was thinking military base auto hobby shops. I used them a lot when I was in. Also, usually the guys there are more then happy to lend a hand.
Bruce
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Yeah, in Kauai it was awesome having the autohobby shop on base. I could just go after work or on the weekends. We used to hang out there quite a bit and bench race-

Called them just now, free to active duty, 8 bucks an hour for civilians to use the lift (you have to have a CaC) and they have both 2 and 4 post lifts!
I just found my new place to do tire swaps and such!

here's the info off their website:

The Auto Skills Shop is a fully equipped, self-service repair facility with two standard bays and four bays with hydraulic lifts. Professional guidance is available. The shop has an "All Data" computerized manual that contains information on service bulletins, make/model updates and recalls.

There is no training required to use the shop, however customers are requested to read and sign a brief safety training course before working on their vehicles.

The shop offers:

Battery charger
Electric drill
Engine stands
Puller set
Storage
Tire balancer
Tire mounter
Used oil and antifreeze drop-off repository (Friday 12:30-9 p.m.; Saturday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sunday Noon-5 p.m.)
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:28 am
Firebolter wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:46 am Thanks Dave, appreciate it. Did some more searching and Annapolis NAVAL Station has an auto hobby shop! Gonna call them later today. NAVY bases have always had these and I have used them over the years and totally forgot to think about that until last night-Getting old man! :thumbup: :cheers:
Yup. I was thinking military base auto hobby shops. I used them a lot when I was in. Also, usually the guys there are more then happy to lend a hand.
same for the USAF. And we had wood hobby shops too. I got my start making furniture in one.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris