I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Hyundai and "E-Cornering"

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Hyundai and "E-Cornering"

Post by Firebolter »

Pretty slick for in city where conditions can be tight at times-

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/hyundai-ca ... eways-spin

Lots of cool bikes---
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Re: Hyundai and "E-Cornering"

Post by Twist »

Or people could just learn how to parallel park. I made sure all my kids had this skill even if the MVA didn't test for it. Living in Annapolis it's an important skill. One of my teen age daughters came home after being downtown and said when she put her Xterra in a small parallel spot there were people on the sidewalk watching her and gave her a round of applause.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

More useful article and video. Too many extra moving parts to break IMO.
https://www.pocket-lint.com/this-hyunda ... r-parking/
Twist wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:19 am Or people could just learn how to parallel park. I made sure all my kids had this skill even if the MVA didn't test for it. Living in Annapolis it's an important skill. One of my teen age daughters came home after being downtown and said when she put her Xterra in a small parallel spot there were people on the sidewalk watching her and gave her a round of applause.
Good on you for teaching! One of the kids at the RC flying field last weekend was playing around w/ someones small RC car on a table in the pavilion and was trying to parallel park between water bottles. Kept trying to pull in. I explained how he had to back in w/ a quick hand motion and he aced it first time out. Its amazing how fast 10-12yr old can learn. Only took him a couple evenings of training to get signed off solo. We're still working w/ his dad :lol2:

I once pulled my 48' trailer into VIR and backed it in right beside another in one shot. There were a group of guys sitting there drinking already and when I rolled in they had apparently placed bets on how many tries it would take me. They congratulated me and asked if I could teach :cheers: It does feel good.

I used to sit back in the lab and had a clear view of the semis backing into the loading dock for the company next door. Was amazing to watch the veterans weave around vans and dumpsters yet still do it in one shot. There were a couple that drew an audience w/ how many tries it took.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Parallel parking wasnt a skill I learned till I was in my late 20’s.

I learned to drive in a small town in NH. There was nowhere to parallel park. Then for a while in my early 20’s I rode a street bike everywhere…

Its a good skill to learn/know
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

My kids and I always grade each other on our parallel parking. It's got to be less than 4" from the curb, even, and done in one attempt to get an A. My girls would often put their car in a spot about an inch from the curb. Proud papa here.

But as I mentioned, you can't go downtown Annapolis without being able to parallel park so we all got a lot of practice.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I can parallel park. The Jeep Comanche with a manual transmission and a cap with a board for a back window was what I drove in high school and I had to parallel park it at home on a hill.

But this technology is neat. Ya'll are starting to sound like people who thought power steering would be the end of good driving.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Man, I don't even want a car w/ mirrors that automatically tilt down every time you go in reverse. That crap all breaks eventually. These unnecessary 'conveniences' are often quite annoying. I've now had several vehicles that won't let me select recirc when I have the front windshield defrost selected. No, you dumb f-in car, I'm not worried about fog inside the glass I want to melt the ice outside before I leave the house!

My friend has a Rivien launch edition. It has TONS of stupid motorized shit. He said it will be a disaster once out of warranty and they won't keep it that long.

The new 911s have active rear steering. OK, I get that from a performance viewpoint. But its limited angle by using a motor controlled tierod. It could be locked out/replaced when it eventually fails. It also doesn't take modifying any of the other parts like wheel wells, control arms, etc for clearance. Hyundai swinging a wheel 90deg would eat up a crapload of trunk space from the wheel well alone. Auto parallel parking systems that already exist are much cheaper (essentially free hardware as w/ e-power steering and cameras are already there) and smarter long term. I doubt the feature ever makes it to production.

Edit: I also can't figure out how they are doing drive. CVs sure can't swing 90deg and still work. So they've either created a nightmare of linkage or are using wheel motors (which suck from a unsprung weight perspective and haven't been used in cars.)
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I haven't seen any "internals" or drawings about how they did it, but seems like it "could" be some kind of geared knuckle/hub that allows the hub to rotate out 90 degrees. I mean it is obviously for slow speed operation so you would not need a ton of bite on gears/threads to handle the low speed torque. I assume you would be very speed/power limited while in that mode of operation.

Agree it is way complicated and new cars can quickly become expensive to maintain with all the techno gadgetry! I paid my local credit union an extra 2400 dollars to my AMG when I got it, to add a 7yr/75K mile bumper to bumper additional warranty that picks up anything my MB doesn't, except for tires and other wear items like spark plugs and belts. Factory Air suspension can be REALLY expensive to replace if issues arise.
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Twist wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:19 am Or people could just learn how to parallel park.
I can see in places like Japan (where I lived for 3 years), this would be very handy. Parking in Tokyo is extremely difficult and limited. Honda made a small car called the "Towny" I think it was, anyway it was small like a Isetta so you could pull straight in or pull out of a parking spot, but the concept only worked if you had alot of like sized cars to use the space you would dedicate to this parking spot size/concept. So many places in Japan have parking garages with car elevators, if you had cars that could crab like that, think how many more cars you could park in a certain sized areas. Where I think it would be awesome, in my neighborhood when I lived in Iwato, each block, you did not have a driveway in your yard, you had a spot at the lot on the corner of the block to park. You pay for each spot monthly. You could get alot more cars in those corner lots if they could crab, you could move the car in any direction to park/leave. I can see some usefulness in this for more than just parallel parking in large metro areas.
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

In the '70s, the old Coleman MB-4 tug had a lever between the seats for turning the rear axle. I loved that thing. I could back a 4-wheel trailer loaded with a launcher on it underneath a B-52 wing without getting out of the tug. Perfect for those -40 degree nights.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris