I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Husky starting problems.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Husky starting problems.

Post by Grady »

About a month ago the 610 started giving me trouble starting. It seemed to be flooding when it sat. I checked the float needle, and sure enough, it was stuck. A little tap and it was free. While I had the bowl off I removed and cleaned the jets. I also adjusted the valves that day. After that she started easily again, until the gas stop at Curly Fern. After refueling and taking a little break, I couldn't get the bike to start. Bucho and Trialsrider gave me a push to pop-start it. Once it was started, it ran great the rest of the event and gave me no problems starting. Once I got home after the ride the bike would not start again. I checked the float needle and that was free, so I don't think its flooding when it sits. It seems no mater how much I kick, it won't start. I cant even get it to pop-start. Anyone have any suggestion on where to start looking for problems?
CapoGreg

Re: Husky starting problems.

Post by CapoGreg »

Start with the basics. Follow the fuel system from tank to cylinder, make sure it's getting fuel. Kick it over a couple times and then pull the plug to see if it's wet. If it is, that's good.

Make sure the plug is clean and gapped, then before replacing it, ground it against the engine block and crank by hand. You should see it spark. BE CAREFUL that you aren't holding the plug or wire or you'll get a nasty surprise. Kick it over a couple more times to clear excess fuel out of the cylinder.

Is it a 2-stroke? If so, make sure there's nothing clogging the exhaust. I had a chainsaw where bees packed mud in the muffler and I couldn't figure out why it was blowing fuel back out the carb, spent 20 minutes messing with it before I spotted that. Even if it's not a 2-stroke that might be a good idea.

How mechanically skilled are you? If you feel competent, disassemble the carb and thoroughly clean every part, including vents. Reassemble it and make sure the float level is right and needle isn't sticking. Make sure any mixture screws are set per factory recommendations. I had a boat that I had to do that to every spring otherwise it would give me fits.

You might need to shut the petcock and burn off some fuel in the bowl before shutting the engine off. I've heard it's a problem on XT225s to flood when when they're warm and shut down with a full fuel bowl.
FourStroke

Post by FourStroke »

My 450 can be stubborn to start sometimes. After I adjusted the valves it got alot better. I learned with mine it likes to try to start every 4-5 kicks. I conserve my energy till around every fourth kick & then kick it hard. I give it no gas, but after some kicks of nothing & twist the throttle twice, and then kick it (manual states to twist the throttle twice).

Good luck!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Get a KTM...

my 450 starts first kick and first push of the auto-kicker...

put seriously, start with the basics as pointed out above

got spark?

don't know how to test the fuel injection
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Also try opening the gas cap to see if you are getting vapor lock. That happens sometimes, especially in hot weather. If you are getting vapor lock, the tank breather may be blocked or kinked.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Breathers are clear, carb is clean and all fuel system seems to be in check. I'll have to get a second hand to check spark since the plug is on the right and kick on the left. I cant seem to find an angle to ground the plug and kick it over to look for spark. I'll try and check spark tomarrow.
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

Get two medium-sized alligator clamps, big enough to clamp around the threads on the plug. Either bolt and solder them directly together or connect them with a short piece of heavy gauge wire. Clamp the plug with one and a solid ground with the other.
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Good idea, I'll give that a shot.
401dan
DAMN Expert

Post by 401dan »

hey tony if you take some starting fluid not much spray in the cylinder and put plug back in and kick it and you have no pop or it wont try to start and if no spark coil or ignition computer depending on whats on it could be bad or it just could be bad plug. check spark first, if no spark try new plug if still no spark check plug wire for spark i have gauges if you want to bring it up to house. spark should be bright not faint spark. if it looks week find another coil or ignition box if you have one but check all your grounds first . also jersey had alot of rain could be bad gas drain the tank if not too hard cover all the easy stuff first or just bring it up ill help you out whenever you want to come up this week im home. chances are since you had problems before with starting it when you clean and adjusted everything the ignition doesnt have to work as hard to make spark for it to run sounds crazy but atv had similar problems intermittent and computer and rev box both had to be replaced i thought coils were bad because spark was week but power goes through ignition before coils to step up the voltage. also check your fuses if you have one for ignition.let me know.
2005 KLR250 2012 TIGER 800XC FULLY FARKLED : :whip:
TEACH MORE FRIENDS TO RIDE WE NEED VOTES FOR THE LAW'S THAT GOVERN US. TOO CHANGE!!!
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Good news, she runs again! :loveit: Tried all the suggestions and found I had good spark, but still wouldn't start even with a little starting fluid. Every once in a while it would start for a few rpm's and then sputter out. Trying to start it while giving it gas only made it pop/ backfire and DAMN near send the kicker through the bottom of my foot. After checking the jets again and the float needle, both which were clean and working, I then checked the choke. Seems like it was stuck closed, I sprayed a little cleaner down in it and gave a few taps on the carb and it came loose. I don't quite understand exactly how this carb or choke works, but at least it's working now. If any one can explain this carb setup, I'd love to understand how it works. Its a Dellorto 40mm. It's a completely different setup than what I'm used too. There's no butterfly for the choke and the throttle moves a large cylinder up and down in the main body. I'm no mechanic, but I try to always do my own work. This style carb is just something I've never ran into.
ImageImage