I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

new front end on DRZ

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

new front end on DRZ

Post by mdubya »

My old DRZ is pretty beat up. This year it has needed quite a bit of maintenance to bring back up to usable spec. The front end has been a mess for a while. I finally scored an SM fork and triples for a good deal. Then I needed a new SM sized rotor (310mm) and an SM specific caliper bracket for the interchangable S/SM caliper. This also gave me a chance to address and clean up a few things like wire and cable routing. Well, it still isn't perfect, but for its shake down run this evening, things went pretty well. The highlight was seeing a huge bear on Savage River Road. He was awesome.

A few piccies:

front end mounted

Blingy rotor. Too bad it doesn't stop nearly as good as it looks

back together, waiting for bits to mount the stock head light

I have been off the bike for more than 2 weeks, so this evening's ride was really sweet. I was about to lose it with all the nice weather we have been having and being unable to ride.

:rickey:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: new front end on DRZ

Post by Rut Row »

no pics o the bear, eh? :dry:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Kyler wrote:no pics o the bear, eh? :dry:
Slow on the draw. I was surprised how long he stood there before turning and bolting.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:
Kyler wrote:no pics o the bear, eh? :dry:
Slow on the draw. I was surprised how long he stood there before turning and bolting.
Probably sizing you up for diner and decided you'd be a bit tough.

The DRZ is shaping up nicely!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
crofrog
DAMN Expert

Post by crofrog »

Now just get rid of the ACCT and get an FCR if you don't already have one :)
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

crofrog wrote:Now just get rid of the ACCT and get an FCR if you don't already have one :)
At 50,000 + miles, if it doesn't fall off, it doesn't get replaced. :deal: And even then, if it is not essential to the bike running, no replacement. I just consider it weight savings at this point. :ride:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
delusion39
DAMN Wanabe

Post by delusion39 »

50k plus miles? Gotta love a DRZ. That SM setup should be awesome.

Shaun
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2006 KTM 450 EXC
2007 KTM 300 XC
2013 KTM 990 Adventure Baja

Ex bikes: 1995 Kawasaki KDX 200,2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (R.I.P),2002 Suzuki DRZ 400E, 1998 Honda Interceptor.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

delusion39 wrote:50k plus miles? Gotta love a DRZ. That SM setup should be awesome.

Shaun
It is pretty good so far. I am disappointed that the Braking rotor is no better than the EBC on my old set up. But then again, the last thing the DRZ needs is anything to slow it down. :lol2:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
delusion39
DAMN Wanabe

Post by delusion39 »

the last thing the DRZ needs is anything to slow it down. :lol2:
Haha. This is true. But with an FCR, exhaust, and proper gearing they do have adequate power. Not earth shattering, but adequate. I will say that when I sold my DRZ and got the 450 EXC, it was pretty awesome to be able to run a 2nd gear wheelie with massive amounts of wheel spin and roost flying everywhere. Course, that's at the expense of rear tires.. :lol2: :boohoo:
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2006 KTM 450 EXC
2007 KTM 300 XC
2013 KTM 990 Adventure Baja

Ex bikes: 1995 Kawasaki KDX 200,2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (R.I.P),2002 Suzuki DRZ 400E, 1998 Honda Interceptor.
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Well done, Mike. Regarding the rotors, I figure that it's the diameter that is the major factor in braking power, less so the shape, thickness, mounting (solid vs. floating) etc. As far as materials go, it almost doesn't matter as long as the pad compounds are designed to work with it.