I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Electirical Problem

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Electirical Problem

Post by Rut Row »

on my trailer that is.

The brake lights work fine. The turn signals work fine. If the turn signal is on and I step on the brakes, the turn signal in the truck and on the trailer quit. The happens with both turn signals.

Thoughts?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Re: Electirical Problem

Post by Hare »

whats the tow vehicle?

if its an older amerian vehicle pre 90s it will be a ground issue or a crossed/smashed wire.

If its newer you may need a special unit to sort out the the turn signals from the brake lights.

did it work correct at one time and then it broke? or is this new to you unit?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Hare wrote:whats the tow vehicle?

if its an older amerian vehicle pre 90s it will be a ground issue or a crossed/smashed wire.

If its newer you may need a special unit to sort out the the turn signals from the brake lights.

did it work correct at one time and then it broke? or is this new to you unit?
tow vehicle is a 94 Silverado - brakes, running and turn signal lights work fine on the truck

Trailer is new and I replaced the connectors on both the truck and the trailer - I tested the truck with a meter and am 100% sure the truck is wired right.

I'm guessing it is a grounding problem. I might just rewire the DAMN thing since it is an old trailer - the wiring is pretty simple.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

yeah most the time replace is the right call at least you know its done right, my time spent chasing down problems is often wasted
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

We can try to hook it up to my truck and see if that works...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote:We can try to hook it up to my truck and see if that works...
good idea :thumbup:
Ken
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Bruce
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

Kyler wrote:on my trailer that is.

The brake lights work fine. The turn signals work fine. If the turn signal is on and I step on the brakes, the turn signal in the truck and on the trailer quit. The happens with both turn signals.

Thoughts?
Are you using the same lights for braking and t/s... If so, be real certain you are using the dual element bulbs which can look frighting like single element ones (dont ask)...

Also if you are using a standard harness - with 1 male and 3 female connectors - take a piece of sandpaper and clean up the connectors. The trailer can be wired correctly - but a bit of rust on the truck connector and/or the tailer connector can braAk the connection/chain...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

hondahawkrider wrote:
Kyler wrote:on my trailer that is.

Thoughts?
Are you using the same lights for braking and t/s... If so, be real certain you are using the dual element bulbs which can look frighting like single element ones (dont ask)...

Also if you are using a standard harness - with 1 male and 3 female connectors - take a piece of sandpaper and clean up the connectors. The trailer can be wired correctly - but a bit of rust on the truck connector and/or the tailer connector can braAk the connection/chain...
Yup - 1157 bulbs - wired per SOP for trailers.

I'll try redoing the ground on the trailer but so far, I'm not having much success. Will try with Bucho's truck this weekend and see if the same thing happens.

BUT - I got it inspected and plated so now I'm not nearly as concerned. :rayof:
Ken
Kris_Kris
DAMN n00b

Post by Kris_Kris »

I bet for a few dollars more, you could have gotten a new trailer and saved all of the troubles.