I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

Savage River Bear-O-Rama

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Savage River Bear-O-Rama

Post by mdubya » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:22 pm

I haven't been on a good SM loop in nearly 2 weeks. Last time out, I saw the large black bear on Savage River Road. It was so cool. I headed out this evening (forced myself really, wasn't feeling up to it). So I run my loop; Kitzmiller, around Jennings Randolph lake, down into Luke on old 46, onto Savage River Road. I am finally getting used to the different feel of the SM front. It is totally mismatched with the sproingy rear now, so that will have to be addressed. My recent track time has me feeling a bit more confident than I had been. Savage River Road has had the drainage ditches dredged recently, so there is a layer of dried on mud on the road surface. I had a few good slip and slide moments, but was definitely holding some in reserve just due to the late hour (didn't leave the house until about 6:45 PM), me being tired from working all day, and the rear Dunlop not being all that great on the slippery road. I was having good fun though, and was glad I got out. Just past Big Run Road, the road narrows and there is a nice wheelie hump you take a bit leaned over. As I crested the hump, I saw a small to medium sized black bear on the edge of the road, not far from where I saw the last bear. I shut the throttle and eased on the brakes, not sure if I was going to need to try to avoid it. It didn't hesitate like the big one from 2 weeks ago. It turned and hauled ass into the woods. As I went by I saw that it had a cub with it which turned and ran too. I watched them as deep into the woods as I could before I had to turn my attention back to the road. 2 for 2 on Savage River Road lately. If you count the cub, I am 3 for 2. Pretty good year for bear sightings so far. I think I will need to head down there more often for evening scoutings.

Here's a couple of random piccies (no bears):

Spartan DRZ cockpit:

It ain't SM if your chain doesn't rub your rear tire:

The end
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Savage River Bear-O-Rama

Post by Bucho » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:55 pm

Yeah, its about time to put the motard wheels on the DR.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200

Granville
DAMN Poohba

Post by Granville » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:22 pm

That sounds like a really sweet loop you got there. I would like to ride it sometime. I have enjoyed the Savage Rive Road section myself a couple years back. It was spring and I was heading toward Luke. I had just dropped on the road from a vigorous trail ride guided by one of Lukes finest. That section of Savage River Road runs at the bottom of a curvy green valley surrounded by blooming rhodedrums, pines and towering hardwoods. I remember I found the cooler temperature along the river refreshing from the off road stuff I had just ripped through. Also, the muffled roar of the staggered rapids were jut loud enough for me to take notice of how crystal clear the water was. I think I need to get back there. :thumbup:
525EXC Jim's
250CRF James's
200XCW Jack's
225TTR Lauren's
400Big Bear Tanya's
The family that rides together always has someone to tell them why they crashed.

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:33 pm

Granville wrote:That sounds like a really sweet loop you got there. I would like to ride it sometime. I have enjoyed the Savage Rive Road section myself a couple years back. It was spring and I was heading toward Luke. I had just dropped on the road from a vigorous trail ride guided by one of Lukes finest. That section of Savage River Road runs at the bottom of a curvy green valley surrounded by blooming rhodedrums, pines and towering hardwoods. I remember I found the cooler temperature along the river refreshing from the off road stuff I had just ripped through. Also, the muffled roar of the staggered rapids were jut loud enough for me to take notice of how crystal clear the water was. I think I need to get back there. :thumbup:
Yeah, it is a beautiful area. One of my favorites. Rolling through there in the evening as the campers are getting their fires going and as the sunlight is turning golden is sublime.

DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

John Go

Post by John Go » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:53 am

i just rode Savage River Road for the first time last week, on my way to DCL for the family vacation. Nice. It's funny, but I was thinking as I rolled along that it would be prime area to see a bear. No luck for me though.