I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

External Starter Thingy

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

External Starter Thingy

Post by Rut Row »

Anyone know how to make one of those slick external starters thingamabobs? The Wasp is a bitch to start (can't kick a full stroke). I want an external-push-button-portable-kick-starter-doohickey.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: External Starter Thingy

Post by Bucho »

Oh for goodness sakes. I'll kick the DAMN bike. (Just make sure the gas is on.)
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote:Oh for goodness sakes. I'll kick the DAMN bike. (Just make sure the gas is on.)
[whine on]
what do I do when you aren't around and need to start it?
[whine off]
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

you cloud lower compression a bit to ease starting by stacking a couple base gaskets, or a spacer plate on it, I am guessing the frame doesnt allow a good kick

good compression, clean carb with fresh fuel, good spark plug and boot giving a nice sharp blue spark should fire up right away everytime
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

you are correct - poor frame design. And, since mangling my right knee this spring, it only has 4-5 kicks in it before the knee gives away.

Bucho had "the touch" earlier and could start it second or third kick on a regular basis. But... in the process of dual-sporting it I had to swap out the coil (broke it accidentally), installed a new stator and new kill-switch so... I could have introduced a major malfunction.
Ken
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

the kit is not available - but it's got good info..

http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/ignition.html
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

hondahawkrider wrote:the kit is not available - but it's got good info..

http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/ignition.html
welll.... not what I had in mind. was thinking of one of those gadgets you hook up to the wheel and spin it, dump the clutch and start the motor
Ken
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Ken, try standing on the hack and kicking with your left leg. When we lived in Mongolia, our Ural sidecar had a L.H. side kick start and the lever moved OUTWARD, which was super weird. Old BMWs do the same thing.

You might find that it's easier and cheaper to either fix the frame so the motor kicks all the way over, or to add an extension shaft that puts the kick lever outboard of the hack.

Look at drag racing supply places. It's called an "external starter".

There are probably different arrangements, but this is the one I'm familiar with:

Basically, it's a truck starter with handles and a switch. BTW, you *better* be holding on when you hit the switch. It has a "T" shaped shaft on the end. Also, I saw a guy at the White Rose Hill Climb wrap up his pants leg pretty good with one that was spinning down.

The side case needs to be modified or new cases built to have a bearing and seal centered over the crank axis.

The part that stays with the bike basically replaces the nut on the flywheel, pokes out through the side cases, and has one-way engagement ramps -- it's a little hard to picture, but the idea is that when the motor lights off and starts going faster than the starter, it kicks the starter out of the socket. It's like those "anti-tamper" screw heads you see holding bathroom stalls together, only deeper.