I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Rear wheel bearings

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Rear wheel bearings

Post by Grady »

The husky wheel bearing are shot, and it's time for new ones. Anybody have any pointers? I've never replaced them, so I'm not sure how difficult they will be. Any special tools I'll need?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Post by mdubya »

Put the rear wheel/hub next to a space heater or heat gun before attempting to tap the old bearings out. Once heated, they should tap out pretty easily. In the meantime, put the new bearing in the freezer for several hours before attmpting the install. Make sure the hub is good and warm once again, before the install. The combo of warm hub and freezing bearings should allow you to gently tap those suckers in. You can use the old bearing as a buffer between the new bearing and the BF hammer. Actually a decent sized hard plastic mallet should do the job.

I did the DRZ and the KTM, both, this year. Pretty easy to do.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
delusion39
DAMN Wanabe

Post by delusion39 »

Autozone has a tool called a "blind hole puller" that is very useful for extracting bearings. It's basically a slide hammer that can grab the bearing from the inside race. You can rent it for free, but they require a pretty hefty security deposit. It saved the day on my DRZ bearings. I've also used it to remove pilot bearings when doing clutch jobs in cars.

+ 1 on the heat/freeze technique as well.
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2006 KTM 450 EXC
2007 KTM 300 XC
2013 KTM 990 Adventure Baja

Ex bikes: 1995 Kawasaki KDX 200,2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (R.I.P),2002 Suzuki DRZ 400E, 1998 Honda Interceptor.
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Anyone know how this notched retaining ring comes out? It's on the drive side of the hub. Looks as if it threads into the hub to hold the bearings and spacers tight. I tried to get a pic with my phone, so sorry for the quality. If it does thread out, can I put a screwdriver in the notches and tap it, or do I need a special tool?
Drive side
Brake side
FourStroke

Post by FourStroke »

I'm guessing that stays in place? My 450 had a wire/spring ring that fit into a little grove to hold the dust shield in place. The bearings I think had a C clip on one side.

Thumpertalk.com will have your answers.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

You will get all Husky questions answered at www.cafehusky.com
or ask for Chris at Toy Tech / 717-469-9484, tell him Boom Boom told you to call.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

+2 on the hot / cold method.

I dont have a husky but several bikes including the Honda XR600s have screw in retainer for the bearing and seal, usually on one side only, it looks like that to me.

If you use a screwdriver or punch to remove you might mess up the nut after a few times, some people locktite the nuts in, I don't but keep it mind that some locktite uses heat to release.
If it was mine I would make a tool that fits it pretty tight, if you have the metal (home depot or wherever) i can weld it up for you. I will ask a husky friend later today he may have one.
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

I made this tool, so hopefully it works. At least it's a spare hub I'm learning on :thumbup:

Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Woo Hoo!!! :loveit: Tool worked and bearings look and feel good. At least good enough for the weekend. Now to get them in the other hub.
AccidentalWheelie

Post by AccidentalWheelie »

HELLS YEH AWESOME :rayof: :roost: :rickey: :whoop: :hi5: :amazon: