I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

I got approved

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

I got approved

Post by Laoch » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:05 am

...for full tuition, fees, book $ and a monthly stipend of $1200 :deal: under the new chapter 33 GI bill. :thumbup:

Now what? :shrug:
I have to go full time. 36 months max.
What do I study?

Decisions, decisions. :boohoo:
I'm not looking to start until next fall, I gots bills to pay off, so I have some thinking time.

I know this is an eclectic and diverse group, so any thoughts?

I'm leaning towards IT and CIS. Specifically network stuff.

BTW my daughter is in school :lol2:
We'd be classmates. :brows:
Bruce

pmullen
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: I got approved

Post by pmullen » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:54 am

dirtygrunt wrote:...for full tuition, fees, book $ and a monthly stipend of $1200 :deal: under the new chapter 33 GI bill. :thumbup:

Now what? :shrug:
I have to go full time. 36 months max.
What do I study?

Decisions, decisions. :boohoo:
I'm not looking to start until next fall, I gots bills to pay off, so I have some thinking time.

I know this is an eclectic and diverse group, so any thoughts?

I'm leaning towards IT and CIS. Specifically network stuff.

BTW my daughter is in school :lol2:
We'd be classmates. :brows:
if you want to do IT, do computer security or computer forensics. Stay away from commodity IT (networking, programming, database administration).

The most promising arena is government acquisition. It is a stressful job in Aug/Sept but is the fastest growing gov work area and they are projected to have a high demand for 10 or more years. It is also something that transitions well from government to industry

bring beers and we can talk more this weekend while we clean sand from the bikes
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:00 am

Thanks Ken. I'm adding that to the list :deal:

I'll be at a soccer tournament this weekend.
And I gotta put a chain on TJ's KX, and I got new rubber to spoon on the KLR.
Ya'll have fun in the sand.
Bruce

pmullen
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by pmullen » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:19 am

dirtygrunt wrote:Thanks Ken. I'm adding that to the list :deal:

I'll be at a soccer tournament this weekend.
And I gotta put a chain on TJ's KX, and I got new rubber to spoon on the KLR.
Ya'll have fun in the sand.
:boohoo: :kumbaya: :amazon:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:20 am

Yeah, from what I understand IT is flooded right now with out of work people. I'm thinking networking is too popular and competitive a field. I'd go for something like Ken suggested. Or if you really want job security, go the blue collar route. I read that we are losing plumbers and electricians because all the kids are going into IT now. Sheesh...someone's gotta do that work and apparently we'll all be paying a premium for it eventually. Hey, here's an idea....go to motorcycle mechanic school in Florida! LOL

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:13 am

I've heard that also. Kath. Thanks.

Do you guys see the same thing two years out? And then further?

I have a short list and electrician, either home or industrial is on it.
Bruce

pmullen
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by pmullen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:37 am

dirtygrunt wrote:I've heard that also. Kath. Thanks.

Do you guys see the same thing two years out? And then further?

I have a short list and electrician, either home or industrial is on it.
Maryland requires a 7-year apprenticeship and there is only one license - commercial. Sucks, when I retired from the military I tried to transfer my Indiana residential license but that was a no-go.
Ken

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:06 am

I gotta check on that, does PA license electricians?
Bruce

Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:16 am

Finding skilled labor is difficult nowadays. In my experience, high schools don't push the trades. It seems when I was in high school that they made trades seem as if they were for people who couldn't finish high school. Now that I'm in the field, I see it every day how hard it is to find good skilled labor. When people do find good labor now, they pay a premium to keep it.

crofrog
DAMN Expert

Post by crofrog » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:23 am

Kath wrote:Yeah, from what I understand IT is flooded right now with out of work people. I'm thinking networking is too popular and competitive a field. I'd go for something like Ken suggested. Or if you really want job security, go the blue collar route. I read that we are losing plumbers and electricians because all the kids are going into IT now. Sheesh...someone's gotta do that work and apparently we'll all be paying a premium for it eventually. Hey, here's an idea....go to motorcycle mechanic school in Florida! LOL
Eh... In other parts of the country maybe. There is a large demand for experienced people in the IT field right now. The problem is breaking into the market. It's pretty unlikely to get a degree in networking and bust directly into that industry.

You'll end up starting out in a NOC or a help desk somewhere for a few years making 40k or so.