I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New Wasp Motor

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: New Wasp Motor

Post by Rut Row »

If you want to see the Wasp rise from the ashes of oblivion, PayPal large sums of money to ken@kyler.com. :deal:

I figure 4-5 more motors should get us to the end of the year... :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

How many motors do you have? Can we take all the bad ones and build a good one. The last motor , did it hurt the lower end? Rod, crank, bearings, ect? Curious minds want to know. Putting a topend together is not that bad.
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

jr-n-the mule wrote:How many motors do you have? Can we take all the bad ones and build a good one. The last motor , did it hurt the lower end? Rod, crank, bearings, ect? Curious minds want to know. Putting a topend together is not that bad.
the first motor is completely worn out - needs everything, crank, jug, etc.

Don't know about the current motor. Haven't gotten up the heart to tear it down and see what is wrong.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
waserman
DAMN Expert

Post by waserman »

The 2st motors are not that complicated,and the 500 being a non power valved engine is not that bad.The shop manual and tools are all that you need.I will say that if the bottom end is trashed/worn out,crank seals bad and crank bearings I would pay close attention to the condition of the main bearing journals.I say this because my 88 injested some nasty water,muddy drowning and enough dirt got through the filter to destroy the top end,as well as the lower end.Well it also took out the main bearings journals in the cases,just worn enough to allow them to spin,end of cases.I believe they are a matched set,and line bored for the crank.FYI to buy a new set if so inclined,over 400cc in Delaware you have to apply for a registration through DMV to buy the new cases,serial numbers are/were recorded from the cases.I don't know if that was a state or federal requirement.That motor was not bad at all to tear down,repair/assemble.I'm sure if you are mechanically inclined that you can do it,the trans kind of stays in one half of the motor,and that splitting cases and reassembling is the hardest part.You will need access to the oven and freezer for reassembly of the lower end. good luck and if you rebuild that beast,there is nothing like a totally fresh and properly jetted CR500
(I just sold a mint 38mm Keihin quad striker carb,that was purchased and jetted for an 88 to a guy in Canada)
John

DER ECEA AMA
Class: A Super Senior, open

Husqvarna TE 510
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Not for the faint of heart

Post by Rut Row »

Fair warning. These pictures are for mature audiences only and of a grizzly, gruesome nature. They made a grown my gag and cry (me). Less than 1 hour on the motor too... :wallbash:

full size pics here

:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:
Ken
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

Ugh, that is not a pretty sight Ken.
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

How does the inside of the cylinder head look? Are there really deep groves in the cylinder? I like to have a closer look, next time your have`n shop night? Maybe i chould ride up?
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

That'll buff right out.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

jr-n-the mule wrote:How does the inside of the cylinder head look? Are there really deep groves in the cylinder? I like to have a closer look, next time your have`n shop night? Maybe i chould ride up?
don't know - was too hard to tell through the tears. Will look again tonight when I pull the motor. Probably tonight. A friend who owns an m/c shop thinks the timing was off.
Ken
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

Kyler wrote:
jr-n-the mule wrote:How does the inside of the cylinder head look? Are there really deep groves in the cylinder? I like to have a closer look, next time your have`n shop night? Maybe i chould ride up?
don't know - was too hard to tell through the tears. Will look again tonight when I pull the motor. Probably tonight. A friend who owns an m/c shop thinks the timing was off.
How far did you get? I`ll be around this weekend if you want some help.
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX