I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Hatfield and McCoy trails.

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Daves08excr
DAMN Poohba

Hatfield and McCoy trails.

Post by Daves08excr »

I'll throw this out now while we are all talking about the rides for next year. How about a DAMN ride down there this year. I was thinking late summer early fall and at the very least a long weekend four days or more. Some of the trails have cabins some have mobil homes for rent. Post up your throughts on the matter. If there is enough intrest I'll get something together.
2021 Africa twin.
2022 Kayo k6-EFI.

WELCOME TO THE DIRT SIDE.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Hatfield and McCoy trails.

Post by Boom Boom »

The only negative I can thow out about Hatfield is the 2-way traffic can be "very" dangerous.
For about the same drive time you can be at Brushy.
What I like about Brushy is it is private owned and built for cycles. Small track for kids, all trails are directional, the 2 track is maintained with great water bar jumps (Wasp approved) and the single track is challanging enough to be fun with some hero stuff for those up for it.
Shower house on site, primative camping available, rooms not that far away.
I also think Brown Mountain is not far from Brushy.
Not bashing Hatfield, but in the summer prime it is thick with quad dust and just waiting for a head on around every blind corner.
If going to Hatfield do you have a favorite trail head???
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Good thoughts Boom Boom. I would be more inclined to go in the off season and even do it during the week, say a Thursday and Friday. I would like to get to H/Mc and when I do, it will probably be one day down, 2 days riding (Thurs/Fri) and then drive home. I don't need a massive crew to ride with, just a few good riding buddies.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

If doing Hatfield, make DAMN sure to check the schedule of events before going. If you go the same time as quadfest or some other organized ride you will be kicking yourself.
Depending on where you are driving from, if willing to drive a couple more hours Brimstone in TN is a great area. To the south you have Windrock and the north Harlan Co KY. Brimstone alone has somewhere around 300 miles of trails available. Other than the half dozen people we scene in the parking area, we owned the mountain.
Very reasonable ride fee, I think $35 for a week pass.
Sorry for robbing the thread, just throwing out other places available.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Loosescrew
DAMN Expert

Post by Loosescrew »

I too agree. Hat/Mc is a early spring or late fall trip.Great roads for a supermoto too.
CBR 1000RR
YZ450F supermoto
13 yz 250
21 yzx 250
98 CR 500
Piranha 190 pit bike
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I went to the Gilbert/Mann area of Hatfield McCoy in spring of 04. I was there w/ a big quad group. I had a good time and I would like to go back at some point.

I agree it would have to be a 4 day trip just to get in 2 full days of riding.
I have plenty of leave w/ work, its the just the family I don't like to leave that long. Not sure if I can do it this year w/ some other Rallymoto/racing commitments I've made.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

can anyone tell me if this is possible, I want to take big red down to hatfield mccoy trails and I want to be able to leave the vehicle for a few days and just camp and live off big red. Is that possible? I dont want to return to the vehicle at ALL, except for when Im ready to come home.
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Brian, IMHO for what you want to do drive a little further to Brimstone in TN.
About 2 hours longer drive but perfect for what you want to do and you will own the place.
In 08 is spent a couple days at Brimstone and loved it. 2 1/2 days of riding and did not come close to covering a fraction of what they have. They have camp areas out on the trail, one area was along a stream with some little falls, very sweet.
Brimstone is a collection of properties that with the purchase of a $30 weekly permit you have access to use. Not as well marked as Hatfield but the maps give you a general idea of where you "might" be and that is where the adventure begins.
Abandoned homesteads, even found a little church in the middle of friggen nowhere.
Did not come across a single other rider once we got away for the parking area.
Harlan Co KY is to the north, Coal Creek to the south and Royal Blue I think connects to Brimstone.
http://www.brimstonerecreation.com
http://www.harlancountytrails.com
http://www.coalcreekohv.com
http://www.rideroyalblue.com
Worth the drive..........
I do have the maps of Brimstone if interested, you know where I live :roost:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

Hey Mike I checked out Brimstone in one of my last SXS magz and looked really sweet, did you travel I-81 and was there any large mountains to transverse?
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Brian, 81 into Tenn then north a little.
Tenn into VA comming home is a long drag but not stupid steep.
No good way getting to Hatfield, 70 - 68 over to Morgantown is bad enough, but from Morgantown south is where the fun starts. I have run Hatfield a couple times and it looks like 81 to 64 would be the ticket but that last section west is pure brake burning hillbilly hell. 70/68 west to 79 south is the best route for hatfield.
At Brimstone they rent the Razors and a local outfitter does 4x4 adventures.
Pulling anything of any size I would much sooner make the longer trip to Brimstone.
Make sure to check out the Harlan Co link also, that town opens its doors to most any adventure activity just to bring in some outside money from guys like us.
The Brimstone folks were "very" friendly, no mile long list of rules to follow. The area showed very little sign of any mining past and the woods were very healthy with minimal undergrowth and animals of all types everywhere. Couple times I thought you might here some banjo music and blunder on some shine making, know what I mean :brows:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr