I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Organized Dual Sport events – what’s it all about

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
XRAnimal
DAMN Expert

Organized Dual Sport events – what’s it all about

Post by XRAnimal »

Not the DAMN kind :cheers: , but the sanctioned / organized kind.

Never been to one. What is it all about? Is it a competition? What do you do? Is membership needed?
:shrug:
XRAnimal
2003 XR400R (plated)
2012 Super Tenere
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Organized Dual Sport events – what’s it all about

Post by Rut Row »

XRAnimal wrote:Not the DAMN kind :cheers: , but the sanctioned / organized kind.

Never been to one. What is it all about? Is it a competition? What do you do? Is membership needed?
:shrug:
What is it all about? they are enduros in all but name. :bandit:

Is it a competition? no, but it is smart to let the "A" riders go first unless you want to get run over :lol2:

What do you do? ride some single track, some fire trails, fall down, fart and have a great time! :whoop:

Is membership needed? usually all you need is an AMA membership.

They are lots of fun - come join us on one next year!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

In some ways I have mixed feelings about the organized dualsport events.

They generally cost money, some are pretty cheap and others not so much.
It kinda bugs me to ride the same course w/ 300 other guys. It seems (at least for the first part of the day), that you are constantly having to pass slow guys and fast guys are constantly passing you. The course gets a little tore up w/ the 150 guys that went before you, the ruts/whoops/ect... get deeper and gnarlier.

However, they can be alot of fun. The biggest part is getting to ride somewhere you don't usually go. Most of the rides also have sections or the entire course will be through areas that are normally illegal to ride. You can only ride there once or twice a year w/ the sanctioned event.
Sometimes those 300 other guys aren't so bad. You sometimes meet awesome new people. When you have mechanical woes, you can generally find help and even spare parts some guys will donate to you in the spirit of enduro fellowship.

In fall of 08, Ken strongarmed me into doing the Pinebarrens 500 w/ him. I just sort of went along and I had a total blast. Yes, it was crowded, but I met a super fast old guy that I teamed up with the second day, and then got some satisfaction out of finishing before 99% of all those other guys. (I know its not a race, but there is a sense of competition w/ the upper half of riders.)

At least go do one this season, if you hate it and never do another one, then at least you can say you tried it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

I assume that super fast old guy was Ken :amazon:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Boom Boom wrote:I assume that super fast old guy was Ken :amazon:
Only in my wildest dreams

Pete - he's about 72 or so, little runt of a guy and is blinding fast - easily an "A" rider
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

I enjoy the events. Even when there are 200 -300 people, after the first few miles everyone gets spread out. Also with that many people you can ride at almost any pace, and you will find someone who rides your same speed. Everyone is usually friendly and is there to have a good time. You also get to ride areas that are new to you, and would otherwise be hard/ dangerous to explore without previous knowledge of the trail. All the events I've done so far seem to have been laid out with fun in mind. There were challenges, but nothing I couldn't take my time and get through. I look forward to attending even more this year
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I'm an anti organized event kind of guy. :lol2:

Basically why pay to ride when you can do it for free? :shrug:

I see a bunch of guys who like to "be with other guys" or something : :screwy:

Present company excepted :harhar:

We could have 30-40 riders show up and ride GR or Taskers or any other place and do it on the fly for free, right?

Same thing?

Just my opinion.

Who's riding GR this weekend :ride: :lol2:
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

The beauty of the dual sport ride is you get to ride new areas that someone has gone a great deal of effort to aquire permission to ride. The adventure part is following along on the roll chart and picking what options you want to do. Most rides are all day and cover 100 - 150 miles so you get to see plenty of interesting stuff during the day.
Not putting down places like Green Ridge, but riding the same thing over and over just does not appeal to me. If you have youngens or beginners and non plated bikes then GR is one of the few options you have.
You see a wide range of people out enjoying dual sport rides from guys in their 70's to some ladies, you name it. Guys ride in on the bike with gear for the weekend while you see others with 1/2 mill motorhomes. When on the trail everyone is an equal and all with a common goal of having a good time.
Some of the best fun you can have with your pants up :kumbaya:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

dirtygrunt wrote: Basically why pay to ride when you can do it for free? :shrug:
The new terrain is a major draw for myself. Also, I enjoy the technical single track (even though I'm usually bitching about it in my head while riding it). Unfortunately there's not many places with free legal single track around here. So If I have to pay $40 to have a fun filled day of new trails where I can go 100+ miles and not ride the same trail twice, good food, and usually a t-shirt also, well then it's well worth it to me. :cheers: Plus, it's a great way to meet other riders. Riding with DAMN members is always great and events are a great place to find new DAMN riders.
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

Plus there's the support aspect. I don't have many folks my way to ride with, I ride a large bike (R1200GS), and I usually ride to the trail head. If something happens it's nice to know there are locals with the resources to help get moving/get out/get medical attention. That's often more valuable than a GPS and cell phone.