I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

FS: 2006 BMW R1200GS + Dirt/Street Wheels + Farkle

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

FS: 2006 BMW R1200GS + Dirt/Street Wheels + Farkle

Post by the dude himself »

I'm selling my 2006 R1200GS (ABS Version) with 32k miles. I purchased the bike new in fall of 2006. This bike has been my daily rider for the previous three years, has been garage kept (but ridden in the nastiest conditions), and well maintained. I have every shred of paper that came with the bike, service, or accessories. I'm selling for a dirt/rally bike to train and race.

A complete rundown of what's installed/included:
  • ABS
  • Heated Grips
  • Ohlins' Off-road Suspension + OEM takeoffs.
  • Jesse's Safari Side Bags
  • Jesse's Safari Top Case
  • 21" Woodies Wheel Works monster spoked front wheel/Brand Spankin' New Dunlop 609
  • BMW OEM Rear Spoked wheel with very low milage Metzler Karoo
  • Complete set of BMW OEM Cast wheels with <1k miles on Conti Road Attack's
  • ABM Peak Floating Wave Rotors all around
  • HID Headlights
  • Touratech Engine Guards
  • Touratech Cylinder Head Protection
  • Touratech Lower Engine Protection/Beefed Up Skid Plate
  • Wunderlich Vario Adjustable Lever Set (Brake and Clutch)
  • Centech 5-circuit Fuse Box modded to provide 3 AC and 2 hot circuits
  • Stebel Nautilus Horn
  • Scorpio SR-i600 Alarm System
  • ROX Risers Handlebar Risers
  • BRAKE! LED Brake Light
  • Odyssey Battery
It's been well loved, well cared for, and well trained. It's in excellent shape. No mechanical/cosmetic flaws.

Asking $12k, or willing to trade for a 450cc or larger street legal dirt bike (KTM, Husky, Aprillia) and cash.

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: FS: 2006 BMW R1200GS + Dirt/Street Wheels + Farkle

Post by Laoch »

Nice :thumbup:

I noticed you didn't ask for a KLR and cash? :shrug:

:lol2:
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

dirtygrunt wrote:I noticed you didn't ask for a KLR and cash? :shrug:
He missed his change to give me his GS and some cash for my KLR :screwy:

:jack:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I had two of the older 90's oilhead boxers and they were great bikes. Just before we had our son, my wife and I rented a R1200GS and took it on a 4 day dualsport ride around southern AZ. A great trip and a great bike.

That sounds like a nice bike for someone, too bad I"m on a DR650/beater Concours buget...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

i'd like to know more. i'm addicted to dirt, but the KTM640ADV seat is too small for a pillion rider. :target:
i'll send a PM in a few days, unless you beat me to it.

Stevens
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Stevens wrote:i'd like to know more. i'm addicted to dirt, but the KTM640ADV seat is too small for a pillion rider. :target:
i'll send a PM in a few days, unless you beat me to it.

Stevens
Well, what do you want to know? I took my old R1100GS on a KTM Offroad Adventure course, as a new-to-dirt rider, and by the end of the last day either the guys on 640's were wearing out or I was getting better. And before I get flamed, the 640 is a great bike off road. The Big Pig can be if it's strengths are exploited and it's limitations are understood.

The R1200GS is a lot better in the dirt; this one has also completed a few KTM and BMW courses. It's remarkably survivable from being dropped - this bike has been on it's side in the dirt - although you couldn't tell by looking at it. When it touches down it rests solely on the engine protection - the plastics don't touch. It also keeps the bike at a fairly manageable angle for righting - around 25 or so degrees, and makes it less of a deadlift. Combined with the low center of gravity the bike feels about the same as a 640 to right.

If I wasn't dying to race RallyMoto I'd likely keep it, but I need to pay for a wedding in July and this bike would not be the bike to compete against a fleet of 500cc KTM's. It's been great for dual-sport rides (ride to the ride, swap wheels out ~15 minutes, ride the ride, camp, swap wheels out, ride home), and always brings a smile to the hardcore dudes when they see it in their mirrors.

2-up is a dream on this bike, the frame is stiff, the suspension is tight, and shy of throwing an NFL center on the pillion seat you should be fine. Until recently this was my work vehicle, and I'd probably deliver 2-4 PC's daily (the Jesse's are big enough to lock closed with a mini-tower in each side). The biggest load, I removed the top case, strapped the monitors (19" LCD's in boxes), and put the PC's in the side bags (Lenovo slim-profiles towers), and safely and easily delivered an entire office's IT - 4 PC's, with peripherals, power cables, router, etc. from Bethesda to Alexandria. The bike could easily handle a two up trip from here to Russia with everything you'd need.

Mechanically the bike is perfect.

Maintenance wise, I've done everything but the warranty work:
  • leaking final drive
  • rotor swap after warping
  • camshaft tensioner cap leak
I'm an experienced mechanic, no certifications but I worked at Battley Cycle in Rockville (Authorized BMW Service/Dealer) and I'm no casual wrencher. All work was done according to the official BMW Service DVD-ROM (which is unofficially included), and I'm crazy about the use of a torque wrench. Mine are almost worn out. :brows:

Feel free to call me with any questions, or to stop by and check it out. 3 oh 1-678-32 eight 2
XRAnimal
DAMN Expert

Post by XRAnimal »

DAMN, I bought the NT700V a little too soon. Nice ride :thumbup:
XRAnimal
2003 XR400R (plated)
2012 Super Tenere
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I didn't realize your bike came w/ two complete wheelsets, an offroad set and a road set.

Thats a great feature for any dualsport bike.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Bucho wrote:I didn't realize your bike came w/ two complete wheelsets, an offroad set and a road set.

Thats a great feature for any dualsport bike.
It's much easier than tire irons at the trail head, which I've done as well. :frustrated:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Yeah, dualsports are always going to be at least a little bit of a compramise. But doing having the right rubber for the job makes them a little nicer.
Pulling out tire irons at the trailhead is pretty hardcore, I'm a little too lazy for that. But a wheel swap isn't too bad. Especially if you can do it w/ a cold beverage and some choice music in the backgroud, (Maiden, ACDC, Cash...).

I'll always have a second set of wheels for my dualsports.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200