Looking for another bike!

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Maximus

Looking for another bike!

Post by Maximus »

Having almost run the GS up a tree during the Michaux ride with Bucho and Wingfixer I concluded it was DAMN time for another (smaller) bike. The GS is nice for weekend camping and longer trips but too DAMN heavy to play with. WIth this second bike I'd like to do trails, single track and maybe...maybe harescrambles in the future. I'm looking at a 07 Yamaha YZ 450 this weekend. Any opinions on this bike? OR any opinions or insights on that I need to look for or be aware of when looking for a bike would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
- Max
WolfyWR450

Re: Looking for another bike!

Post by WolfyWR450 »

If you like the blue bikes take a look at the WR450.!!!!
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Not necessarily set on the blue bikes. Just happen to come across one for sale. I test drove the YZ450. Nice bike, lot of power but this particular bike is set up for racing. No electric start and looks like it might be challenging to wire it for plates. Anyone know of any good deals out there let me know. :thumbsup:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I know alot of guys ride motocross bikes as trail bikes. But I never liked the gearing and suspension that comes w/ a stock MX bike.

Not that you can't change that stuff, but its extra time and money when you could just buy an enduro/trail bike in the first place.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Maximus wrote:Not necessarily set on the blue bikes. Just happen to come across one for sale. I test drove the YZ450. Nice bike, lot of power but this particular bike is set up for racing. No electric start and looks like it might be challenging to wire it for plates. Anyone know of any good deals out there let me know. :thumbsup:
Unless that bike has a M/C title you have a bunch of work ahead of you to get a plate for the bike.
If you want a full tilt dirt bike with a plate, the euro bikes are your easiest route. KTM - Gas Gas - Husquvarna - Husaberg - Beta all come with "clear" titles and can be registered M/C from new.
I agree 100% on the gearing comment, MX bikes are not geared for any amount of road use.
How about a little more info, do you want 2 or 4 stroke, how about electric start? What will your primary use be? How about a budget.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks for the insights.
Looking for something I can ride to and on dirt trails and ORV spots. Don't have a truck or trailer (yet) so needs to be plated. Prefer electric start.

I test rode a TT-R 250 this am. Comfortable bike and is already lighted so plating would be easier. Felt a little weak, especially after riding the YZ450.

I've done some basic research on the strokes, but what are the pros and cons between 2 and 4 stroke in anyone's opinion? What do riders prefer and why? I can spend about 3K.
Daves08excr
DAMN Poohba

Post by Daves08excr »

Max i found this on clist sounds like a good deal.
2005 ktm 525 mxc. - $2700 (elkton md)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-04-03, 4:10PM EDT
Reply to: sale-sexmc-1675032175@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

electric start real fast. hardly ridden due to surgery. still on origanal tires and brakes. if interested i will email pics or text them. look at bluebook value def a great buy, needs a good home were it will get ridden.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
2021 Africa twin.
2022 Kayo k6-EFI.

WELCOME TO THE DIRT SIDE.
Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row »

wow - that is a steal!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Daves08excr wrote:Max i found this on clist sounds like a good deal.
Thanks for keeping an eye out. :thumbup:
This sounds like it's worth looking at. I've sent an email.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Maximus wrote:
Daves08excr wrote:Max i found this on clist sounds like a good deal.
Thanks for keeping an eye out. :thumbup:
This sounds like it's worth looking at. I've sent an email.

:lurker:
Bruce